GoPro Wingtip Mounting

Hey there, KTUP. It sure does look like it was unlatched. Guess we better beef up our pre-flight inspection! Thanks.

I had to double check. Nope, it was closed. Did you think you saw that in the tail cam view?
Yes.

At 5:25 you can see the baggage door latch.
BD1.jpg

13:02 the door is moving.

15:28 it's definitely not closed.
BD3.jpg

When I was learning to fly out of PDK, my instructor took me up to Wimpys. We did a couple of departures on 33. Fortunately it was May and not July or August. Very interesting lesson for a 20 hour student having to follow the valley until getting enough altitude.

Last edited:
I have a rubber-coated magnet mount for the GoPro that seems very strong. Thinking about sticking it on the wing of a 150 but not sure I have the courage yet. Maybe I can tether it somehow.

I’m wanting to mount a cam on the wingtip pointing toward the fuselage (Cessna 172 and/or Arrow). My fear is that it will become detached and fall off mid-flight
Wingtips hardly ever become detached and fall off mid-flight.

I have a rubber-coated magnet mount for the GoPro that seems very strong. Thinking about sticking it on the wing of a 150 but not sure I have the courage yet. Maybe I can tether it somehow.
Cow-orker bought a set of magnetic signs for a rented F-150 with the aluminum body - eventually he figured out why they didn't stick.

Seriously the sticky mounts will work just fine if you give them 24 hours. A neighbor at my field has several on his Lancair (he races at Reno

They need to be GoPro official as they have the 3M VHB adhesive

Last edited:
Seriously the sticky mounts will work just fine if you give them 24 hours. A neighbor at my field has several on his Lancair (he races at Reno

They need to be GoPro official as they have the 3M VHB adhesive

My experience confirms this!

Hi.
If there is ONE thing I can convey to everyone, from many years of experience, is to ONLY use a mechanical attachment, that does not include clamps that are pressure held, on everything that has any value, and if it can be lost or damaged if it falls.
For the strut type aircraft, or the models that have a solid tie down ring, it's very easy to make mounts using part of the GoPro mount and a screw and some washers, or just buy one already made. To the best of my knowledge NONE are FAA proved, or accepted.

Suction cup on top of DA40 T-tail for hours at full speed(around 125 IAS). On a number of occasions. No issues. In fact, the mount(it was standing pretty tall) flexed enough from wind resistance to significantly change the view of the camera, but never failed. Didn't even bother securing it after the first use. One of the flights was in part in the rain as well

Also had it on C172 in various locations. Under tail, to the side of the tail, under wing. Never failed.

Last edited:
Hi.
If there is ONE thing I can convey to everyone, from many years of experience, is to ONLY use a mechanical attachment, that does not include clamps that are pressure held, on everything that has any value, and if it can be lost or damaged if it falls.
For the strut type aircraft, or the models that have a solid tie down ring, it's very easy to make mounts using part of the GoPro mount and a screw and some washers, or just buy one already made. To the best of my knowledge NONE are FAA proved, or accepted.
from what I've read, anything that doesn't require tools to attach it is legal.

1/2 Carriage bolts. Just drill through the wing wherever you want to mount the camera.
Cut 1/8" rubber backing for some really big washers, so the nut and the camera don't scratch the paint.
If gas starts leaking just use some black goop to seal it up.

:eek:

No, I made the tether so short that the only failure mode would be for the camera to lay down so it wouldn't flail around and scratch anything.
Seemed to work pretty well as far as a failure can.

You do realize that some Cessna driver is going to copy your idea, then blame you when he gets nothing but wing in the video, right?
This is POA, after all.

I wonder why they didn't put the boat bow forward? Seems like it would be less drag.
You never should carry a boat pointy end first. You don't want it to have any aerodynamic effect that could affect control, a little extra drag on a Beaver on floats is a not a big deal! Sheets of plywood carried flat on the spreader bars can be disastrous as they can cause super stability in pitch, making it difficult to flair on landing.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

You never should carry a boat pointy end first. You don't want it to have any aerodynamic effect that could affect control, a little extra drag on a Beaver on floats is a not a big deal! Sheets of plywood carried flat on the spreader bars can be disastrous as they can cause super stability in pitch, making it difficult to flair on landing.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Hmm. Makes sense. I never thought about super stability but I can see why.

Back