GoPro Wingtip Mounting

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
It’s probably been discussed several times in the past, but I don’t feel like sifting through a dozen threads to find it.

For those of you who use GoPro’s on the exterior of the airplane, which mounts do you use? I’m wanting to mount a cam on the wingtip pointing toward the fuselage (Cessna 172 and/or Arrow). My fear is that it will become detached and fall off mid-flight. I know people do this all the time and I’ve seen a lot of videos of it. Is the suction mount strong enough to hold without worry or is there a better mount to rig a GoPro externally.

TY
Ryan

Don't use the suction cup. Either aircraft builders glue or rivet. CAP lost more than one VIRB camera using the suction cup. For temp mounting, I took out a screw on the top of the wingtips on the cherokee, put the mount on the wing tip over the screw hole, then put slightly longer screw back in the wingtip thru the mount. Locally, the folks who are serious about photos are flying RVs and rivet into the wing tip.

I use the flat adhesive mount on my Arrow. Be sure to clean the surface and heat the pad a little bit with a hot air gun before installation. Find a spot near a rib to avoid vibrations. I did my first flights with the waterproofed case only to make sure it will not come off. It never did ;-)
Have fun!
Chris

Don't use the suction cup. Either aircraft builders glue or rivet. CAP lost more than one VIRB camera using the suction cup. For temp mounting, I took out a screw on the top of the wingtips on the cherokee, put the mount on the wing tip over the screw hole, then put slightly longer screw back in the wingtip thru the mount.
This would be my suggestion as well. Although mounting under the wing may be my preferred option.
Is it possible to remove a screw on top, then run a long bolt through the wingtip with a lock-nut on bottom to secure the mount?
Small diameter, and stainless of course.

This would just be for temporary use, say one or two flights. Just wanting to get some video footage. Will also be a friends GoPro, not my own. It’s also on club airplanes, so I’d rather not stick anything onto them that may cause abrasion of any kind. So the suction mount is for sure a no go?

I have zero experience with the gopro suction cup, however, personally I wouldn't risk it (especially with it being someone else's)
I can barely keep my suction cup razor holder in the shower from falling off in the middle of the night, causing me to do an Elmer Fudd impression tip-toeing through the house in my shorts with a gun.

I, too, in various applications have not found suction cup mounts reliable. Since you're talking highwing (ugh), why not mount it to the tie down ring?

I, too, in various applications have not found suction cup mounts reliable. Since you're talking highwing (ugh), why not mount it to the tie down ring?
High wing or low wing (Arrow) although the application would be the same for both using the suction mount. What type of mount would you recommend to secure it on the tie down ring of a Cessna?

Haven't done it, but imagine a bigass bolt, a couple of big ass washers, a nut and a standard clamp-on GoPro mount would work.

High wing or low wing (Arrow) although the application would be the same for both using the suction mount. What type of mount would you recommend to secure it on the tie down ring of a Cessna?

I made a mount for tiedown rings using a small piece of aluminum angle. Drill a hole in one leg of the ‘L’, pass a 3/8 bolt through that hole and use a wing nut, lock washer, and extra-large flat washer to secure it through the tiedown. On the other leg of the L drill a smaller hole to fit a 1/4-20 bolt which is standard thread for a tripod mount. This held solid at 170 kias with zero loosening over an hour flight.

Our A&P gave me a small and large inspection cover (not painted) with a hole drilled in the center. This let's you hang it from any under-wing inspection cover by swapping covers. Just be sure that the stud and bolt of the gopro mount won't interfere with anything underneath. I haven't done it yet but using this method I would even feel comfortable mounting a mirror less camera.

I am actually about to go up right now and try this for the first time. I am going to use the sticky Mount that came with it. I also am tethering it to the gas cap just in case it comes loose I can slow down and get down as I will just be in the pattern it shouldn't end up banging the wing for an extended period of time if something goes wrong

I am actually about to go up right now and try this for the first time. I am going to use the sticky Mount that came with it. I also am tethering it to the gas cap just in case it comes loose I can slow down and get down as I will just be in the pattern it shouldn't end up banging the wing for an extended period of time if something goes wrong
Just use a really short tether. Clean the wing with alcohol before you attach the mount, and it helps to heat it like @chrisbre said

Patty Wagstaff uses sticky mounts. We've also used sticky mounts along with mounts from nflightcam.com

Yup, flat GoPro factory adhesive mount on an inspection cover

I'd clean and also scuff the area your sticking it to with fine sandpaper

I've had a couple of the sticky mounts on my RV for over 2 years and video almost every flight. Never had one come off, even at 200 mph!

You should have no issues with the stock GoPro sticky mounts they are extremely strong

I think they recommend letting the sticky mounts cure on the surface for 24hrs before using them..:dunno:

One thing you have to realize. You need to let the adhesive mount “cure” for 24 hours before you mount anything to it. It takes 24 hours for the adhesive to reach its full strength.

You beat me to this...

Last edited:
I see it too I believe. Go to 15:28 while turning for takeoff...that's a good view of it.
Looks like the latch is catching wind. You can see that as early as about 30 sec in.
At some point the door becomes unlatched.

I landed the other day, and the baggage door was open. I know for certain I closed it after checking for oil.
Maybe Cessna should rotate those about 90 deg. counter clockwise lol.

Nice video Russ, and beautiful airport/area.

Last edited:
Almost looked like 6PC went into a dive. Good thing you decided to tether the camera to the gas cap!

I mount my RunCam with velcro on top of my rotating beacon. Haven't had a problem yet, but the RunCam is pretty low profile.

We also mount RunCams with velcro on RC jets. These jets are capable of well over 200 mph and do all kinds acrobatic maneuvers. Our cameras are subjected to way more stresses than the typical full scale airplane can dish out. We mount the cameras with about a 1"x2" piece of velcro. Haven't lost one yet.

I made this ridiculously cheesy Top Gun video with a RunCam mounted in the above fashion.

Last edited:
The best "easy" idea that I've heard of for mounting is to mount it to an inspection plate. Remove the plate, drill 4 holes in it and you can bolt whatever contraption you want onto it. It's a tough choice, a combination of steady enough not to shake, but isolated from any wing vibrations. Or use the inspection plate as a template and just put whatever you want on there.

I have no experience with doing it, but it sounds very reasonable to me.

Absolutely NOT suction mounts and the sticky tape isn't good either (and we can see).

Did it damage your purdy paint job?
No, I made the tether so short that the only failure mode would be for the camera to lay down so it wouldn't flail around and scratch anything.
Seemed to work pretty well as far as a failure can.

Back