GoPro Mounting

C172capt

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BonanzaPilot
Hey guys, I'm new here but I just need some clarification on this topic. If I use a suction cup mount on a 172 do I need a sign off by an A&P? I have read that I do but I have also read that if it is not a permanent mount it does not need to be signed off. Does a temporary mount such as a suction cup still need to be signed off? Thanks.

not an answer but, just me, i'd want a more structural, mechanical mount - i know they're supposed to be good and are used on race cars etc but the suction cup thing just worries me.

not an answer but, just me, i'd want a more structural, mechanical mount - i know they're supposed to be good and are used on race cars etc but the suction cup thing just worries me.

Why? Suction mount failure leaves an unmolested airplane. Having mechanical mounts partially fail can cause problems.

The issue of external mounting isn't really a matter of an A&P signoff as it is a FSDO thing.

GoPro adds a CYA caveat:
* Check with your local FAA FSDO regarding exterior mounting.

The few folks that I have talked to that actually did attempt to contact their FSDO's either got the run around or never really got any kind of firm answer.

FWIW, I've done some low level flights with a GoPro suction mounted at over 150+ kts....it stayed on just fine.

Why? Suction mount failure leaves an unmolested airplane. Having mechanical mounts partially fail can cause problems.

I'd be more concerned with what the camera impacts on the ground than the airplane if it falls off.

Back