Gopro 5 audio input adapter

apilotb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ApilotB
I got a Gopro session 5 and the pricey audio adapter that allows you to plug in an external mic. It works when I plug in a microphone, but I get no audio being recorded when I plug the audio from the aircraft intercom. I suspect this may have something to do with the output impedance of the intercom not being matched to the input impedance of the mic input. Is there a simple solution for this?

You need the right cable from your airplane audio to the gopro audio adapter. Something like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Nflightcam-S...44547507&sr=8-4&keywords=aviation+audio+cable

Yes I am using that cable - not exactly the same brand, but something very similar. It plugs into the headset port, and has two split ends. One end has a socket for headset plug and a 3.5mm plug at the other end. It works fine when I use it with a recording app on my Android, but not with the GoPro. Nothing wrong with the GoPro device either because it works fine when I plug a regular microphone to it.

A lot of youtubers just use a lavaliere mic tucked into one of their headset ear cups.

I think I am using the exact same setup as @Radar Contact and it works on my Hero 5 black. The main problem I have is bumping it and it un-plugs since it just hangs there. I am wondering your Go Pro has some type of setting under audio that needs to be changed?

Oh yeah, I have never actually plugged another headset into the extra end of the aviation cable. It really shouldn't matter but I guess you could un-plug a headset from it if you have only ever tried it that way.

also, although I DON'T KNOW if this is what you need, it's worth a read:

https://gopro.com/help/articles/question_answer/External-Microphone-Recommendations

but I haven't heard of people mentioning this as a solution, I just found the article when I was initially trying to figure out WTF was wrong with the audio with the brand new gopro I had just bought.

You are absolutely correct. I checked my plug, and it is TRRS, and the website you pointed to says TRRS won't work with the Gopro audio. I need to get a TRRS to TRS adapter, which should be easy. You guys are awesome!

Back