Google says you can't get there in NJ

And it only takes 54 minutes for all that??.......:rofl:

Heck: I used to get directions like that from the Pentagon (aka puzzle palace) all the time. What the problem? <vbg>

Best,

Dave

I've driven that stretch of road. It is U-turn city, though perhaps Google is exaggerating a bit.

New Brunswick, huh. Wonder if Timulti's pub is still there. When a developer was trying to buy the block to bulid a new building, Timulti refused to sell. They built the building around his. Nice little bar.

Tumulty's was there the last time I was there. Still has the trains, too.

RU '90

Wow - it actually ends at the destination, but jeez, I think I'd get tired turning around that many times. :D

That's hilarious. I've actually driven that route many times. It goes right past my old house in Princeton. I gave up on google maps in that area because it just couldn't handle the NJ "jug handle" turns well. It also called US1 by some weird name so I never knew what it was talking about.

Chris

I gave up on google maps in that area because it just couldn't handle the NJ "jug handle" turns well.

NJ is weird. Jug handles all over the place.

For those who haven't driven there, at a jug-handle intersection, if you want to turn at all, you take an exit that lets you turn onto the crossing road. It's shaped like a jug handle when viewed from above.

Right turns are fairly normal, just not made at the intersection itself.

For a left turn, say you're heading north and you want to go west (left). You make a right-hand exit, make your left turn about a half block east of the intersection, and then go straight through the actual intersection.

Then there's Michigan Lefts, which involve making a right and then a U-turn in a special lane for that purpose.

Dang CivE's. :goofy:

The only place I've seen Jughandles are in Toms River and in Lowell, NJ. There was ONE judhandle in Nashua, the road you had to take to get to the airport. I got good at that one :D

NJ is weird. Jug handles all over the place.

For those who haven't driven there, at a jug-handle intersection, if you want to turn at all, you take an exit that lets you turn onto the crossing road. It's shaped like a jug handle when viewed from above.

Right turns are fairly normal, just not made at the intersection itself.

For a left turn, say you're heading north and you want to go west (left). You make a right-hand exit, make your left turn about a half block east of the intersection, and then go straight through the actual intersection.

Then there's Michigan Lefts, which involve making a right and then a U-turn in a special lane for that purpose.

Dang CivE's. :goofy:

I was just mentioning the Michigan ones to my buddy. I thought you had to go 1/2 mile past the intersection where you want to turn left and then they have the U-turn lane on the left - with a light signal - that sends you back to make a right.

I read about the new genius design that crosses the lanes at the intersection so oncoming traffic is on your right until you pass the intersection and you switch back. That way left turning traffic doesn't have to cross the oncoming traffic. :hairraise:

Those aren't U-turns. They're the turns for various holding patterns at many fixes. :D Try it at night when there's less traffic. They could condense it if, for example, #6 said "hold north of Route 1 and Bellevue, expect further clearance @ ___

I was just mentioning the Michigan ones to my buddy. I thought you had to go 1/2 mile past the intersection where you want to turn left and then they have the U-turn lane on the left - with a light signal - that sends you back to make a right.

It works either way, if both roads have the U-turn lanes. ;)

The only place I've seen Jughandles are in Toms River and in Lowell, NJ.
They were all over where I grew up, and also in the area around KTEB. I had to explain jughandles to my flying buddies because they didn't understand why there is no place to make a left turn and would end up going for miles in the wrong direction.

Bah. Google maps changed the link based on the FARK thread. They got it down to 6 steps.

Now the question is... Did they fix the problem in their trip calculation algorithms or did they simply hard-code that particular route? Hmmm.

They were all over where I grew up, and also in the area around KTEB. I had to explain jughandles to my flying buddies because they didn't understand why there is no place to make a left turn and would end up going for miles in the wrong direction.

OK - but can you explain the rules for NJ traffic circles (hint, they are different than the rules in Washington DC)?

Gary

Back