Google Maps w/Navigation Review

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
After the thread a bit ago where we discussed this new feature, I wanted to give an honest review for everyone, in case it may be the selling point for android.

Overall, its pretty cool. Notable missing features include speed and time enroute. While it shows time of arrival, it does not show how long you've currently been traveling. The road display seems to prefer highway numbers over road names, so when I chose to navigate to the Railrunner station in ABQ, had I not already known then route, I would have been confused about the direction to "Turn Left on 423." To locals (and the roadsigns), that is Paseo del Norte. Finally, the speech is a bit too quiet for my tastes.

On the bottom left of the main display is the traffic indicator, which is either black (no traffic), greenn (light traffic), yellow (moderate traffic) or red (heavy traffic). Enroute, if you miss a turn, it immediately recalculates an alternative route, and it happens very quickly, which was nice. Because it uses the google maps engine, points of interest are nearly unlimited. If you can search the internet for a destination, it can be navigated to.

Upon arrival, the display automatically changes to street level view of the actual address, which is fantastic, as it let's you know what you're looking for.

Does it beat my Tom Tom? Yeah, id say it does. When it adds a speed display, it will win hands down. As for Garmin? Well, my Tom Tom was already better.

Back