Google Exposing Adsense Publishers to Identity Theft

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
Just in case you need another reason to hate Google...

Apparently, due to some stroke of incompetence that I can't quite wrap my brain around, Google is sending 1099 forms for Adsense Publishers to the addresses they listed when they first joined the program, even if they have moved since then and their correct, updated record is on file with Google in both their Adsense account and the online W-9.

I found this out the other day when Gay Marc sent me a text message with a picture of the envelope from Google with "Important Tax Information" on the envelope, which was delivered to my old address in Queens. (When I moved, Gay Marc took over the apartment.) That was SEVEN YEARS AGO, and Google has my current address in both my Dashboard and my online 1099; but they still sent the 1099 to the old address.

If Gay Marc hadn't told me, I never would have known. I'm only barely an Adsense publisher at this point. I haven't generated enough revenue to get a 1099 in years. (The threshold is $600.00 / year.) In fact, I thought I took down all the ads, but apparently they're still getting clicks. Either a few ads evaded my search-and-replace, a site was restored from backup at some time without me knowing it, or someone plagiarized one of my sites -- ads and all. (Believe it or not, that's happened before.)

I've also found out that other publishers who've moved since signing up either know as a fact that the 1099s were mailed to their old addresses because they still know people at the old addresses, or suspect that they've been sent to their old addresses because they haven't received them yet at their new ones.

I really don't even know how that's possible. Once the addresses are updated in the databases, how the hell does the mail wind up going to the old addresses? Even a moron would have a hard time pulling that one off. To do that requires idiot-level incompetence, not the more common moron variety.

I sent Google an email through their contact form last night. All I asked for was that they email me the 1099 (which is one of the options on the form) because it was sent to my old address. I received a totally irrelevant boilerplate response from a robot from a "no-reply" address at Google that tried to guess what I was asking and responded based on that guess. Typical. I'm not sure any humans even work at Google any more. I do know there's no way for mere mortals to contact them if they do.

So screw 'em. I've filed reports with the FTC and the IRS, and also called my Congressman (who's more useless than the tits on a bull, but who does have a few competent people working for him). I may even start a class-action suit. I hate Google already and have for a long time. I've never made a secret of that. But putting publishers' PII out on the street like this makes me hate them even more -- something I didn't think was possible.

Rich

Last edited:
Just in case you need another reason to hate Google...

Apparently, due to some stroke of incompetence that I can't quite wrap my brain around, Google is sending 1099 forms for Adsense Publishers to the addresses they listed when they first joined the program, even if they have moved since then and their correct, updated record is on file with Google in both their Adsense account and the online W-9.

I found this out the other day when Gay Marc sent me a text message with a picture of the envelope from Google with "Important Tax Information" on the envelope, which was delivered to my old address in Queens. (When I moved, Gay Marc took over the apartment.) That was SEVEN YEARS AGO, and Google has my current address in both my Dashboard and my online 1099; but they still sent the 1099 to the old address.

If Gay Marc hadn't told me, I never would have known. I'm only barely an Adsense publisher at this point. I haven't generated enough revenue to get a 1099 in years. (The threshold is $600.00 / year.) In fact, though I took down all the ads, but apparently they're still getting clicks. Either a few ads evaded my search-and-replace, a site was restored from backup at some time without me knowing it, or someone plagiarized one of my sites -- ads and all. (Believe it or not, that's happened before.)

I've also found out that other publishers who've moved since signing up either know as a fact that the 1099s were mailed to their old addresses because they still know people at the old addresses, or suspect that they've been sent to their old addresses because they haven't received them yet at their new ones.

I really don't even know how that's possible. Once the addresses are updated in the databases, how the hell does the mail wind up going to the old addresses? Even a moron would have a hard time pulling that one off. To do that requires idiot-level incompetence, not the more common moron variety.

I sent Google an email through their contact form last night. All I asked for was that they email me the 1099 (which is one of the options on the form) because it was sent to my old address. I received a totally irrelevant boilerplate response from a robot from a "no-reply" address at Google that tried to guess what I was asking and responded based on that guess. Typical. I'm not sure any humans even work at Google any more. I do know there's no way for mere mortals to contact them if they do.

So screw 'em. I've filed reports with the FTC and the IRS, and also called my Congressman (who's more useless than the tits on a bull, but who does have a few competent people working for him). I may even start a class-action suit. I hate Google already and have for a long time. I've never made a secret of that. But putting publishers' PII out on the street like this makes me hate them even more -- something I didn't think was possible.

Rich
You shouldn't have put this on the internet. I for one love my google/amazon/facebook overlords and would never say anything bad about any of them.

Whoa, whoa..... You don't want to expose too much of yourself or you might have to register with the authorities....:eek2: :lol::lol::lol:

What's perhaps most ironic about this is that Google gathers and stockpiles information about people for a living, yet they pulled off a boneheaded maneuver like this one. Doesn't say much for their privacy protections.

Rich

What's perhaps most ironic about this is that Google gathers and stockpiles information about people for a living, yet they pulled off a boneheaded maneuver like this one. Doesn't say much for their privacy protections.

Rich

We should probably be happier they’re inept at utilizing it? ;)

I know that contacting Google to remove an incorrect phone number in a business listing that they acquired from the State after creating a corporation is impossible. They have my residential number listed and I can not seem to get it removed. If anyone has any suggestions how to do this I will greatly appreciate it!

If you ever file with the state for a corporation leave the spot for your phone number blank unless you love getting hounded by recordings and telemarketers.

I know that contacting Google to remove an incorrect phone number in a business listing that they acquired from the State after creating a corporation is impossible. They have my residential number listed and I can not seem to get it removed. If anyone has any suggestions how to do this I will greatly appreciate it!

If you ever file with the state for a corporation leave the spot for your phone number blank unless you love getting hounded by recordings and telemarketers.

The only way I know of to contact a real person at Google is to be an Adwords advertiser who has spent more than $1 Million in ads. Once you spend $1 Million, they send you a thank you letter, the phone number of a representative, and a mouse pad. (I kid you not.) At one time humans answered their contact forms, but now even that seems to be done by robots.

Rich

But what does it say about their data hygeine in general?

What seems to have happened is that the 1099 print run ignored any address changes since the publishers signed up for Adsense. My address has changed twice since I first signed up, and the 1099 was sent to the original address, not the one previous to this one.

If a publisher checks the information in the online 1099, it returns the most recent address that they entered. So apparently the database has the correct, current addresses. But the 1099s were sent to the publishers' addresses at the time they signed up. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how that's even possible. The only thing I can think of is that the 1099 database retains the old addresses even after being updated with new ones, and some idiot coded the script to select the original addresses rather than the current ones.

Rich

That they’re about average and their stock price is overinflated for their actual level of ability? :)

Is there a big company that actually has excellent data hygiene? Don’t ask their PR people. Ask their System admins and offer them full immunity in wiring before you ask. :)

That they’re about average and their stock price is overinflated for their actual level of ability? :)

Is there a big company that actually has excellent data hygiene? Don’t ask their PR people. Ask their System admins and offer them full immunity in wiring before you ask. :)

Google may go down as the first tech company to breach itself.

Rich

Side note, I've been cleaning out the basement (yes, I have yearly folders doing back to the early 80's) and I'm amazed at how many documents have social security numbers on them (pay stubs, medical bills, insurance bills, college grade reports, etc.)

It's not feasible to shred these one at a time, so a bonfire is pending. Bring marshmallows.

You shouldn't have put this on the internet. I for one love my google/amazon/facebook overlords and would never say anything bad about any of them.

I know a lot of people hate Amazon's data-mining, but I personally don't mind it. I don't put them in the same category as Google and FecesBook. In my opinion, they're not even close.

Firstly, with Amazon, I'm the customer, not the product. They want to sell me stuff. They don't want to sell me.

Secondly, Amazon's suggestions can be turned off if you find them creepy. Most of the suggestions are just stuff that you've searched for, or stuff that is frequently purchased with stuff that you bought or searched for; so I personally don't find it so much creepy as AI that actually works. But if it bothers you, you can turn it off.

Thirdly, Amazon has an uncanny knack for knowing what I'm looking for at any given moment, and usually has the best variety of whatever that thing happens to be, almost always at the best prices. So why shouldn't they get my money? They save me time, give me the best prices, and save me thousands of miles of driving every year. So go ahead and mine me some more. I don't mind at all. If it means not having to drive 2+ hours each way to Microcenter to buy a $14.00 Ethernet card for my testing server (CentOS 7 is rather picky about NICs), I'm okay with that.

Fourthly, Amazon has a phone number staffed by real people who bend over backwards to make things right when problems arise.

I'm also an Amazon Associate, which means they let me put their ads on my sites and take a vig on the sales. This month marks my thirteenth year with the program, so a lot of things have changed since I first signed up. On a few occasions I had questions about either technical or policy matters related to those changes. No problem. Smart people who speak English, understand what I'm talking about, and have good answers and constructive suggestions are just a phone call away. Amazon treats their associates as well as they treat their customers. They're an absolute pleasure to do business with.

Also, Amazon never sent my 1099s to the wrong address.

There are people who hate Google and FecesBook because they're successful. I don't. I have no problem with companies making money. After all, we are not Communists. What I hate is the fact that Google and FecesBook make a living out of violating people's privacy -- with or without their consent -- and that they're unresponsive to their users and business partners. That's because unlike Amazon, Google's and FecesBook's users are their products, not their customers. They don't have to be responsive to users. Users are just chattel for sale to the highest bidder.

Amazon, on the other hand, has become successful by selling everything under the sun, usually at the lowest prices, with prompt delivery, and customer service rivaling that of most local mom-and-pop stores. That's quite a feat to have pulled off. As far as I'm concerned, they deserve every dollar they make.

Rich

Last edited:
When joking with a friend about which NSA listening device to maybe put inside my home, he joked...

“Amazon wants to sell you ****. Google wants to sell you.”

I for one am glad that Marc came out of the closet.

Google may go down as the first tech company to breach itself.

Interestingly they don’t have the legal immunity the telecoms negotiated for themselves.

Something about being over 100 years old as a company and spinning off multiple other children who’s lawyers all know what’s up, works better than newbies in California playing like they’re shrewd national companies.

If they don’t retain some old school jersey lawyers, they’re going to regret it. Ones that know how to influence politicians.

What seems to have happened is that the 1099 print run ignored any address changes since the publishers signed up for Adsense. My address has changed twice since I first signed up, and the 1099 was sent to the original address, not the one previous to this one.

If a publisher checks the information in the online 1099, it returns the most recent address that they entered. So apparently the database has the correct, current addresses. But the 1099s were sent to the publishers' addresses at the time they signed up. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how that's even possible. The only thing I can think of is that the 1099 database retains the old addresses even after being updated with new ones, and some idiot coded the script to select the original addresses rather than the current ones.

Rich

Don't worry. They'll fix that in the next sprint. :eek:

23andme - the DNA testing/health/ancestry system that is funded by Google and has one of Google's founder's wife as CEO sent the wrong DNA info/analysis to a group of folks. Just wait until they're breached, fork over the data to every government agency and insurer that asks. Consider that there is likely a pipeline from 23andme to Google's vacuum of personal data.

Now, do you REALLY want to have them do your DNA test? :O :O :O

Rich

Rich, you're in the pocketpickin' state of New York, right? You might have better luck with the state Attorney General's office. Especially considering that Google was the largest lobbyist in DC (by dollars) last year.

Rich, you're in the pocketpickin' state of New York, right? You might have better luck with the state Attorney General's office. Especially considering that Google was the largest lobbyist in DC (by dollars) last year.

Our state AG is pretty liberal. I suspect he's in Google's pocket. But I'll give them a call anyway. Can't hurt, and it may annoy them a bit. Thanks.

Rich

23andme - the DNA testing/health/ancestry system that is funded by Google and has one of Google's founder's wife as CEO sent the wrong DNA info/analysis to a group of folks. Just wait until they're breached, fork over the data to every government agency and insurer that asks. Consider that there is likely a pipeline from 23andme to Google's vacuum of personal data.

Now, do you REALLY want to have them do your DNA test? :O :O :O

Already there, Bill

http://www.ajc.com/news/national/po...like-ancestry-23andme/lj2ZhHB1J69rpiANWThLfM/

It is a really bad idea to send your DNA to Ancestry or anyone else.

Ancestry’s contract with you basically makes your DNA info their property, to sell and trade as they please, forever.

Rich
I don't think this was done by the "whole Google". Some department was tasked with sending out 1099. And a dumb monkey did it wrong. Google is man-made evil (okay, okay, also "woman-made", for the feminazis out there). Most of what happens is the fault of us humans. We are to blame.

It is a really bad idea to send your DNA to Ancestry or anyone else.

Ancestry’s contract with you basically makes your DNA info their property, to sell and trade as they please, forever.
Yet dozens of millions of idiots PAY to donate their DNA voluntarily to these collection agencies. Love it. One of the best scams ever. :)

Back