Google Doodle day

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
For those of us in the software industry, today's Google Doodle honors one of the reasons we have jobs, RADM Grace Murray Hopper, (ret):

https://www.google.com/

Watched the Letterman interview this morning, charming lady. I especially liked that McDonalds gives out free picoseconds :yes:

Watched the Letterman interview this morning, charming lady. I especially liked that McDonalds gives out free picoseconds :yes:

I remember that interview. Letterman was trying *so* hard to be amusing, and she was having none of it! On the other hand, he was the perfect straightman. I was fortunate to meet her three times at seminars, one at the Naval Post Graduate School in Monterey, CA. Her aide was a full commander, built like a defensive front lineman.

Last edited:
My favorite quote is the last line in the Anecdote section -
Jay Elliot described Grace Hopper as appearing to be "'all Navy', but when you reach inside, you find a 'Pirate' dying to be released".

My favorite quote is the last line in the Anecdote section -
Jay Elliot described Grace Hopper as appearing to be "'all Navy', but when you reach inside, you find a 'Pirate' dying to be released".

But.....didn't the Navy begin as pirates?

But.....didn't the Navy begin as pirates?
One man's patriot is another man's pirate. Or to quote Ben Franklin in the musical 1776: "A rebellion is always legal in the first person, such as 'our rebellion.' It is only in the third person - 'their rebellion' - that it becomes illegal. "

Ron Wanttaja

Those of us in the software industry must remember her most important cultural contribution. Aside from developing COBOL, she documented a poor moth that made its way into one of the computer's relays -- the first "bug."

Back