Good weather = more hours!

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
I flew more yesterday than I did in Dec through January combined.

Over 6 hours yesterday in two very different airplanes.

I started the day with a 30 minute flight to work in the Chief, then got a frantic email from a close family friend -- her mother is in very poor health and she needed to get to NC ASAP -- could I help?

I was excused from work, got a ride back to 4G1, and watched the windsock and flag snapping in the breeze now 90 degrees away from runway 5/23.

Takeoff was good -- wing stayed down as I lifted off, and slowly climbed to 1000' AGL. It was very bumpy at 1000' AGL, so I climbed to 1500, where it wasn't much better. I slowed to tolerable speed and fought the headwind for 45 minutes back to KWAY. I landed on the grass next to 9 and was happy with the landing, despite winds from 100@9G14.

I put the Chief away, drove home, packed a bag, said goodbye to my sweetie, and headed to Connellsville. After a quick refuel I was eastbound VFR, enjoying the scenery and fairly smooth ride. An hour and 20 minutes later I was at the Airways ramp, topped off, loaded pax, and called for clearance.

"As Filed" surprised me, but, I'll take it. While holding short for landing traffic "I've got a routing change, advise when ready to copy..."

Oh well.

Climbed into the twilight, enjoying the smoother air. All systems green, level off at 8k, enjoy the views of Baltimore, DC, the bay, et al.

3 hours and twenty minutes later we landed at the very desolate Maxson airport. The landing was a clunker as I could not see the surface --- too much rubber from the jump planes, but I was feeling for the ground and suddenly -- there it is! Ugh.

I taxied around for at least 5 minutes looking for tiedowns, I learned later this was a WW2 Glider training base. That's likely the last time this place was busy.

Our ride showed up 5 minutes later.

We should be returning this evening. I will probably make the LNS --> VVS leg early tomorrow as only 14-31 are open and the 14 approach is a black hole that I just don't like (VASI OTS INDEF). 32 is fine for day use, but the proximity of an 800' ridge immediately east raises the pucker factor at night.

Last edited:
It's always nice to get good flying in and help out a friend in the process. It's my belief the best thing I can do with aviation is help others. Good on ya! :yes:

It's always nice to get good flying in and help out a friend in the process. It's my belief the best thing I can do with aviation is help others. Good on ya! :yes:

I was being thanked profusely and felt like saying, "You don't understand.. I really don't mind!!!"

:redface:

Now I'm sharing the apartment with two rescue Bulldogs - they both think I'm made of rawhide, I think. Oh well -- fun times!

Yeah, but they're happy thanking you. Being able to do somethign you love while helping others is great. :)

As to the rescue dogs - they're just showing their love for you. ;)

Yeah, but they're happy thanking you. Being able to do somethign you love while helping others is great. :)

As to the rescue dogs - they're just showing their love for you. ;)

It is -- most certainly! As you well know, I'm sure!

I think the rescue dogs know that we have one rescue dog and two cats at home: "Yeah, he's ok..."

:D

It is -- most certainly! As you well know, I'm sure!

Yep... 90% of my flying is for others, and I love it that way!

I think the rescue dogs know that we have one rescue dog and two cats at home: "Yeah, he's ok..."

:D

For sure. Dogs typically look at me, sniff me, and realize pretty quickly that I'm one of the good guys. :)

Flew MEB to LBT for fuel ($5.05 at MEB, $3.94 @ LBT!), then IFR LBT to KLNS via PXT, V93, BAL.

It was fairly smooth with a few stretches of barely noticeable turbulence. We were flying along the front side of the high that was keeping the stuff to the east at bay. The sun set and we reached the James River about the same time. It was dark and very hazy over the Chesapeake, so I flew the gauges a while.

My passenger enjoyed watching the big iron above and below us flying in and out of DC/BWI.

50 miles out I canceled as we descended -- less haze and a more discernible horizon.

10 miles out and I sill could not make out the airport. 5 miles out and a string of blue caught my attention.

Landed, parked, ate, slept, up at 5, to LNS at 0630 -- fueled, cleared, off and into tremendous headwind. Ground speed was average 90 knots -- sometimes as low at 83, while IAS was 125 at 6000'

Couldn't go lower IFR so once I saw Somerset I canceled and VFRed my way down to 3500. Bounced across the ridges, called VVS -- now both runways are closed (grrr -- what a mess), diverted to WAY, texted Janet ("Come get me!"), flew over the house, bump, bump, bump...

Set up for straight in 27 (so sue me), wild ride through 500' AGL, smooth touchdown, park, secure, wow.

Yeah -- Chief will stay in the hangar -- I'm all good with flying for today.

Back