Good soaring day/new personal best

rottydaddy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
beaky
Made two solo flights in the 2-seater today; been a while as I have spent the last couple of glider club days taking friends up for rides and getting a feel for flying from the back seat.

Conditions were pretty good at first, with scattered flat clouds starting to puff up a bit after noon. Got suckered by some killer lift on the first tow, banged off at 2000, and ended up scurrying back to the airport... the whole sky seemed suddenly to be sinking at 600 fpm. Bummer.

By my second flight, the winds aloft weakened and started to change up. A big gray cloud had settled over the vicinity, and rather than shutting down the lift, it seemed to be sucking up the heat from the ground. Got off at 3000 and there was just lift everywhere. It was crazy. Got to 5500, trying to make cloud base... it seemed to be petering out, so I headed a few miles west to the edge of the cloud, and found some more energy there. A little rough air here and there, but it seemed impossible to fly out of the lift, although some areas were stronger.
Meanwhile, Andy had launched in the 1-26, and came over to gaggle with me. He disappeared after climbing above me (off to another big flat-bottom cloud to the SW and eventually Princeton), I got bored circling in 200 fpm lift, so I continued west, still encountering modest lift in the sunshine. Made it all the way out past the Raritan, a few miles south of Solberg airport, and decided to turn around.
Got back under that big cloud and finally made it within spitting distance of cloud base, around 6400 before I checked the climb to stay in the clear.

Andy reappeared, and we gaggled some more, near the edge of the cloud again. My feet actually started to feel a little cold... been a long time since I felt that in the glider.
Nobody was calling for the trainer, and I probably could have managed another hour or so, but I was satisfied with myself, so I just had some fun playing with it, gradually making it down to the pattern.

Launch to touchdown was just over 2 hrs... not bad for $40! :D

Last edited:
That's great! I really hope to get some glider time in some day...on average, what's it going to cost me per hour for an instructor and a glider with a tow?

That's great! I really hope to get some glider time in some day...on average, what's it going to cost me per hour for an instructor and a glider with a tow?
It depends. Most glider training is done in clubs, but some clubs are also fairly serious commercial operations... costs can vary. Some charge for time on the glider, some charge for instruction, etc.

I have no experience with that sort of outfit, so I can't offer more info on that.

But at the low end of the scale is a club like ours: small, informal, only one trainer and one single-seater, and a good but not ideal tow plane (150-hp Citabria).
Aside from entry fee and dues (which are minimal), students in our club pay zero for instruction, and $10 plus $1 for every 100 feet before release (hence $40 for a 3000-foot tow).

I wound up spending a bit more than I might have to get my PP-G, but only because of the usual stuff: scheduling conflicts and weather (didn't want to stop flying once I had the minimum stuff done, despite not having the ride scheduled).

But the minimum legal requirements to take the check ride are not much, even for students with no previous ratings. It could feasibly be done rapidly, with only the minimum flights/time logged.

Where do you soar from? It probably isn't Somerset since getting past the Raritan river isn't a big deal from there. I thought Somerset since they have (had?) a glider club.

very nice! So did you get your C badge?

Made two solo flights in the 2-seater today; been a while as I have spent the last couple of glider club days taking friends up for rides and getting a feel for flying from the back seat.

Conditions were pretty good at first, with scattered flat clouds starting to puff up a bit after noon. Got suckered by some killer lift on the first tow, banged off at 2000, and ended up scurrying back to the airport... the whole sky seemed suddenly to be sinking at 600 fpm. Bummer.

By my second flight, the winds aloft weakened and started to change up. A big gray cloud had settled over the vicinity, and rather than shutting down the lift, it seemed to be sucking up the heat from the ground. Got off at 3000 and there was just lift everywhere. It was crazy. Got to 5500, trying to make cloud base... it seemed to be petering out, so I headed a few miles west to the edge of the cloud, and found some more energy there. A little rough air here and there, but it seemed impossible to fly out of the lift, although some areas were stronger.
Meanwhile, Andy had launched in the 1-26, and came over to gaggle with me. He disappeared after climbing above me (off to another big flat-bottom cloud to the SW and eventually Princeton), I got bored circling in 200 fpm lift, so I continued west, still encountering modest lift in the sunshine. Made it all the way out past the Raritan, a few miles south of Solberg airport, and decided to turn around.
Got back under that big cloud and finally made it within spitting distance of cloud base, around 6400 before I checked the climb to stay in the clear.

Andy reappeared, and we gaggled some more, near the edge of the cloud again. My feet actually started to feel a little cold... been a long time since I felt that in the glider.
Nobody was calling for the trainer, and I probably could have managed another hour or so, but I was satisfied with myself, so I just had some fun playing with it, gradually making it down to the pattern.

Launch to touchdown was just over 2 hrs... not bad for $40! :D

That's a B Badge and 1/2 way to the C Badge!! Great flight !

http://ssa.org/sport/wheretofly.asp

Costs seem to be all over the map (no pun intended)

There are commercial operations such as Ridge Soaring where you are going to pay by the hour, and at the other end, there are clubs where you are expected to put in time working at the club in exchange for low cost for the glider / tow and free instructor time. Penn State (which flies out of Ridge Soaring) raises funds by having members work at Penn State Bookstore merchandise booths at home football games.

It depends on which style works for you.

Three more hours, and you woulda had your duration leg :D

Now go fly that 1-26. You'll love it.

Back