Good practice day today

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I was updating my logbook the other day and had not realized I was out of currency as of 1 Apr. Today I was lucky and got to go up with a friend and shoot some approaches and got back current.

Wicked wind day today too! mostly out of the south at 11-16 knots gusts at 20-30 knots.

Took off and started getting bumped around, at about 2000 MSL the wind just turned into a steady with occasional gust type of issue. I was going to fly out to RFD and shoot the LOC-BC 19 but decided to stay around in case it just got to rough. So I decided instead for the GPS-B into 10C. If it was really bad just land and put the plane away. There are T-storms way out west but nothing within 100NM of us.

Eventually I got the plane settled down and found that I needed about a 30 degree wind correction angle to hold course. Flew to the end of the T left turn, GS 142kts with an indicated of 100kts YIKES!, made my next left onto the the final course and with 70 KTS indicated I was getting 113kts GS!! Things were happening quickly. But I was able to fly the approach. Decided to go missed and execute the missed approach procedure to the hold.

Doing the hold was fun (not) lots of wind correction stuff to do, and as always holds are PIA that should be practiced more than I have. But I did a couple of circuits and then went to the next approach the VOR-A. That was easier to fly as I had worked most of the wind stuff out. Flew that and then did a GPS-8 into 3CK with the procedure turn and went home.

2.2 hours with 2.0 under the hood, I was a little rusty but I never did fall behind the airplane or make any major mistakes, a couple of minor altitude deviations was about it.

Landing was interesting. Lots of gusts! I had a 75 knot approach speed which was about a 60 knot GS. Several gusts and shears near the approach end. I started to settle it down and got a good gust that started to give me a lot of lift, I added about 200 rpm of power and as the gust died I settled nicely to the ground and immediately put in full aileron corrections. BTW on final I had given it full rudder and was still not pointed down the runway, but I still was able to pull off a down the centerline landing.

I am back current again until the end of May, I gotta fly some more IFR as that is what I mostly do now that we are out of the icing season.

Sounds like fun! (not!) Good writeup, though! I'm current, but know I need to get up with an instructor, especially since I've never done IMC in the 210.

Sounds like fun! (not!) Good writeup, though! I'm current, but know I need to get up with an instructor, especially since I've never done IMC in the 210.
Last summer I did my BFR and an IPC. My safety pilot today is also a CFI so he keeps me honest. I did have a check ride just a few days ago for my Coast Guard stuff and got a lot of practice and eval in on that day. No IFR stuff all search pattern work. But it was good to practice some of the ground reference maneuvers again and constant GS stuff.

cool scott, it has been good IFR weather around here lately.

Back