Good News

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
Well I've been taking practice tests on Sportys all weekend and early this week. Average scores were between an 85 and 96.

I took my test today and got an 87 which is good because its in the middle of my averages. Although, I was hoping to get in the 90 range. It seemed many people I talked to get 90s. It was very tough in my opinion despite me taking many practice tests in preparation. Half of it was graphs and honestly a few questions I don't remember seeing. But definitely, on a good note, thats the highest score I've ever made on a written!

Oh, and for those of you who still have to take the comm written, it is easier than Instrument but still rated around the Private rank (at the time I took my private). Definitely know graphs, tables, and instrument interpretation.

...and..I Passed!!!

WOOHOOO!

who cares about the score, you passed! I passed my IR written by 1 question and still was happy to just pass. Ive only heard rumors of DE's being jerks because of the written score.

I took mine about 2 weeks ago. felt like it was harder than the pirvate only because it was more of an indurance test. It was my highest score so far as well.

Good job Tristan:goofy: ,must be a big load off your shoulders. We knew you could do it.

Tristan, that's great! One less hurdle for you now. Keep us posted on your progress! :yes:

Woo Hoo, you go girl!!!

Edit: by the way, I am proud of you for striving for a high score. It just burns my butt when someone says not to waste your time in trying to score well since a pass is a pass. Which is true, however, I don't feel aviation is any place for an under-achiever. I hold my students to the same high standards that I have for myself. 8 writtens so far all mid to high 90's

Last edited:
I'm not sure yet, I have almost all my required hours. I mainly have to perfect maneuvers and get some night time in.

Good luck with that :yes:. I don't think I could do Lazy Eights or Chandells anymore to save my life...at least not without a lot of practice and probably a few tears. Have fun!

Good luck with that :yes:. I don't think I could do Lazy Eights or Chandells anymore to save my life...at least not without a lot of practice and probably a few tears. Have fun!

jeez didnt you just get your commercial a few weeks ago or something? ;)

i actually did a lazy 8 in my arrow checkout a few weeks ago. didnt do half bad. time before i "did" them was when I watched Lance Flynn do them in his Moooney at gastons. time before that was :dunno:

jeez didnt you just get your commercial a few weeks ago or something? ;)

i actually did a lazy 8 in my arrow checkout a few weeks ago. didnt do half bad. time before i "did" them was when I watched Lance Flynn do them in his Moooney at gastons. time before that was :dunno:

Lazy 8's are fun, it's 8's on I suck at:yes:

i actually enjoy all the commercial manuevers. call me a weirdo i guess...

Well I'd call you a weirdo anyways, but this just further proves it :goofy:.

And I got my commercial three and a half weeks ago, thank you! :rofl:

I had SO much fun learning and doing the maneuvers......course I couldn't do them now to save my soul. Commercial was a fun rating!! The checkride......well let's say I was a little stressed, but I passes! That's what counts!:yes:

I loved doing lazy eights. Used to hum that "Blue Danube" tune (Think of Steve Martin teaching his firefighters to use the hose in "Roxanne") as I did them, which amused Annabelle the Examiner when I took my checkride, as well as the FAA guy in the back.

Congrat's Tristan! Good job! Now go nail that checkride...

Ya know whats funny Tony, when I don't have to worry about strict PTS standards, they're actually fun too! Although, I wonder how many people get motion sick with 8's on pylons, those get me on hot days. I've learned to do those last! I have to say I did one of the BEST emergency descents not too long ago. We had crazy winds that day. Prior to that maneuver, I did slow flight, and flew backwards! We climbed up to 5,000 ft and I did a steep spiral over a small school. With those crazy winds and my CFI saying that it probably wouldn't work, my wing never left the spot (with consideration for wind correction of course). He was pretty impressed!
I need a copy and paste for later function for moments like that! haha

Last edited:
I loved doing lazy eights. Used to hum that "Blue Danube" tune (Think of Steve Martin teaching his firefighters to use the hose in "Roxanne") as I did them, which amused Annabelle the Examiner when I took my checkride, as well as the FAA guy in the back.
Lazy eights are actually my favorite manuever. Sometimes its tricky not wanting to do a wing over and play some top gun music, haha j/k. If we had CD players in trainer cessnas, who knows what kind of flying those poor planes would be put through! Although, your CFI singing some random song and doing a bad job of it makes for quite a bit of entertainment. Oddly enough, I've found it sometimes helps with the stress factor.

Does anyone else find the challenge of a power off 180 attractive too or am I just the oddball that likes seeing if I can actualy plant the wheels where I planned to? If you are, you should try and do them to Flight Team rules!

Flight Team Power off landing basic rules
1. Flaps at your own discretion
2. No flaps may be added any lower than 100 AGL
3. Power to idle once abeam the aiming point
4. You may clear your engine once on base leg
5. Pattern flown no further than 1/4-1/2 mile
6. If you are not going to make the runway, add power!
7. All pattern work must be square, penalties result from cutting corners or odd shaped pattern
8. If you are going to land short from the projected aiming point, it is better to add power and land in the box than to land short
9. Turn final must be completed no lower than 200 AGL
10. Must not float longer than 5 seconds after end of decent path

I don't know what it is for competition but our "aiming" point is usually the beginning of the thousand foot markers. The end of the thousand foot markers makes up what I believe to be the other side of the aiming box.

If you ever fly to stillwater, ok and wonder why there is a white powder line drawn into a box shape around the thousand foot markers, thats flight team practice lines. Its actually flour. After it rains and the sun comes out, it turns into what we call, "runway bread." hehe

Ive only heard rumors of DE's being jerks because of the written score.

I don't know about jerks .. but back when I took my checkrides they
would always key in on areas you were weak on from your written
scores. So you'd want to get up to speed on those areas. I have
no idea how much attention they give those now.

Lazy eights are actually my favorite manuever. Sometimes its tricky not wanting to do a wing over and play some top gun music, haha j/k.
Me too. They are so fun!!!

Does anyone else find the challenge of a power off 180 attractive too or am I just the oddball
Hate them. As for the oddball comment....well you hang out with Jesse, that is telling in and of itself.

33 words including these. How is that Jesse?

:D:D:D
;);)
:goofy:

Last edited:
Well you like power off take off and power off cruise as well. One would only expect that you would land without power too. :D
Give him half a chance and he might do a power off ILS too!! hehe

hmmm i just did some math and it seems that a 3 degree slope is about a 20:1 glide. ideally i could do that but i usually like to have a little more room for error on my approaches...being at 200 feet a half mile out would be pretty scary!

Back