Good luck trying to cancel an AOL account

AOL has actually been sued by several state's attorney generals over this issue, IIRC. I do know that when we tried to cancel, they kept charging us. It took a threat of filing a complaint with our AG to get some of the money back and the membership cancelled. Which is why, no matter the fact that I actually like some of what they have to offer and would otherwise consider joining them again, I never ever will.

AOL once signed me up for an account on a day when the whole family was out of town. The acct had my name and address on it, but all of the other info they had was made up. ("Your credit card did not go through ...") And when I tried to cancel it it took 3 months and they tried to make it sound like I was just a deadbeat who didn't want to pay my bill.

Here's the secret to cancelling an AOL account, from a previous AOL call center rep:

When you call to cancel, you will be directed to someone whose job is to save you. Tell them "I want to cancel" and then when they try to save you, just say "Oh really, that means nothing, I want to cancel." It will take a few minutes before they give up and cancel the service.

Part 2, and this is the most important part. Call back to speak to billing to verify that saves actually cancelled the account. The billing department HATES the saves department because they get to deal with customers after saves screwed them, so they WILL be honest about whether or not your account is scheduled for disconnection.

And, btw, new policy is that they can, actually, make you account disconnect on the next billing date. Its a good thing. You don't get money prorated back to you for unused time, so you might as well have it for the rest of the month.

Oh, and I've heard this before. That rep is an ass.

smigaldi said:
Yet another reason why I never got AOL
I had AOL for years, and by some stroke of luck I had to cancel a credit card number just before my AOL account tried to renew. I had told them not to auto-renew, but they tried it anyway and then called up to get a new credit card number. They were not successful! :D

-Skip

Back