Good Headsets for Women

Among the things that cannot be legislated are taste, manners and caring about other people. Also thick skin, a sense of humor and greater sense of responsibility than entitlement.

Can't ban everyone who makes a statement that someone else doesn't appreciate, this site would be empty.

On a side note, what is PoA's policy on the misogynistic crap in this thread? Definitely a disappointment. I love flying and I wish it was more consistently friendly and welcoming. Pipe dream?

While I agree with wishing the boards were more "consistently friendly and welcoming," I find your unfamiliarity with "wife jokes" rather disturbing. "Wife jokes" and "mother-in-law" jokes may be a low form of humor, but they're humor nonetheless. They've been around since literature was first written. You'd be hard pressed to find a wife who didn't have jokes at their husband's expense either.

There are plenty of examples of blatant offensive hostility on these forums (see almost any post by KA550).... this ain't one of them.

My wife and I both have Clarity Aloft sets. She particularly wanted those because the CA won't squash her hair flat. She can arrive in style, looking fresh as a daisy.

My wife and I both have Clarity Aloft sets. She particularly wanted those because the CA won't squash her hair flat. She can arrive in style, looking fresh as a daisy.

Did you let her keep the microphone too? ;)

Here's a vote for the Lightspeed Sierra. My wife (all of 5' tall and 95 lb) tried on one today and it fit her better than others have. The key, I think, is that the earcup adjustment has a larger than normal horizontal component of movement (they go in and out more than others as they also adjust up and down). You can see it from the front view image on the Lightspeed website. It allows the ear cups to be positioned closer together than most, and that helps with fitting a smaller head. They also have as an option thicker head cushions to allow the headset to be raised higher on the head (which fits a smaller head better in the vertical direction).

01-sierra-product-759x428px.jpg

David Clarks are freaking heavy, or at least the one I have is.

I'd think women would rather have a lighter headset or an in ear like the halo that you forget you are wearing.
How effective are the in-ears for noise reduction/safety?

While I agree with wishing the boards were more "consistently friendly and welcoming," I find your unfamiliarity with "wife jokes" rather disturbing. "Wife jokes" and "mother-in-law" jokes may be a low form of humor, but they're humor nonetheless. They've been around since literature was first written. You'd be hard pressed to find a wife who didn't have jokes at their husband's expense either.

There are plenty of examples of blatant offensive hostility on these forums (see almost any post by KA550).... this ain't one of them.

I do know the genre. They're a relic from my childhood that I thought was gone. We used to tell black jokes and Polish jokes, too. We wouldn't put up with that, right?

This isn't about being personally offended; I'm not. It's just that we're already a tiny community and we don't exactly have the best image as it stands. Behaving in a way that requires half our potential population to have a thick skin is not doing us any favors. As I said, it's not offense that drives me to post. It's concern that my runways will disappear.

I'm not looking for the ban hammer to come out. Nothing like that happened. This isn't something to legislate. Just, maybe, the concept of punching up vs. punching down be explained.

Since when can't we tell Polish jokes? What's going to be off limits next, blondes and Aggies? How about lawyer jokes, are those still ok?

I do know the genre. They're a relic from my childhood that I thought was gone. We used to tell black jokes and Polish jokes, too. We wouldn't put up with that, right?

This isn't about being personally offended; I'm not. It's just that we're already a tiny community and we don't exactly have the best image as it stands. Behaving in a way that requires half our potential population to have a thick skin is not doing us any favors. As I said, it's not offense that drives me to post. It's concern that my runways will disappear.

I'm not looking for the ban hammer to come out. Nothing like that happened. This isn't something to legislate. Just, maybe, the concept of punching up vs. punching down be explained.
Relic? You've never made a joke about your significant other? If not, you're a far better man than I.

I'd say let's worry about those that are downright hostile before worrying about microaggressive trigger words that require a safe space.

How effective are the in-ears for noise reduction/safety?
They're great. I fly with Clarity Aloft 90% of the time and Bose A20 the other 10%. The noise reduction is roughly equivalent between the two. If you don't mind having something in your ears for long periods of time and you aren't ashamed to put "Ears ... clear of wax / Earbuds ... also clear of wax" on your before engine start checklist, the CA (and almost certainly also the Halo) is all pros and no cons when compared with ANR over-ear headsets.

I got the CA originally because I have for many years used Shure in-ear headphones to listen to music and audiobooks when I have flown the airlines and one experience tells it all. There were three unruly children seated immediately behind me. One cried, one screamed, and one just talked at an obnoxiously loud volume the entire flight. I put in the Shures and with music at low volume I forgot that those kids were even there, except for the one kicking my seat half the flight.

I love my A20 and I fly with it ~20 a week.

Since when can't we tell Polish jokes? What's going to be off limits next, blondes and Aggies? How about lawyer jokes, are those still ok?

Lawyer jokes are OK. Reference punching up. ;)

Relic? You've never made a joke about your significant other? If not, you're a far better man than I.

I'd say let's worry about those that are downright hostile before worrying about microaggressive trigger words that require a safe space.

What's a "microaggressive trigger word"? Not run into that terminology before.

I'm not claiming any moral superiority. (Remember the black and Polish comment? That was me, and I regret it.) Yeah, I've made jokes at Sarah's expense. Sometimes they're even funny. Somewhat less often, she laughs. But, they're aimed at her and who she is and how our relationship works. I avoid the hell out of jokes that say that vagina = better seen and not heard.

But that wasn't my point at all. My point is that behaving like that is expensive. Each person we chase away is one less pilot. One less plane owner. And each fewer person doing what we do means the cost of what we do goes up. And that means I don't get to fly as much. Or at all. Or I have to trade something away from my kid to fly. I love flying, and I'd really like to keep doing it. That's all...I want to fly and this crap makes it costlier.

I told my wife about this thread, that the common response was "one w/o a microphone." She laughed out loud.

But that wasn't my point at all. My point is that behaving like that is expensive. Each person we chase away is one less pilot. One less plane owner. And each fewer person doing what we do means the cost of what we do goes up. And that means I don't get to fly as much. Or at all. Or I have to trade something away from my kid to fly. I love flying, and I'd really like to keep doing it. That's all...I want to fly and this crap makes it costlier.

Sorry. I guess we just view it differently. I view it as good natured jesting. You view it as misogyny likely to scare people away from aviation.

Sorry. I guess we just view it differently. I view it as good natured jesting. You view it as misogyny likely to scare people away from aviation.

Maybe. I don't know for certain if it's having that effect; I don't know how to measure it that closely. What I do know is that 11% of student pilots are women. And that 5% of certificated pilots are women. If everything was fair, you'd expect those two numbers to be the same. So, something is driving off half the women that start. Something else is keeping four times that number from starting at all. I know a few jokes on a pilot board aren't the primary reason; it's complicated, to say the least.

I know calling it out isn't going to make me popular. I see the likes being handed back and forth. But this isn't argument for argument's sake: I'm not a troll. I think that the whole issue of getting and keeping more pilots is existential to us.

I'd love to chat further, but I've derailed this thread for long enough. I'm reporting my own post to ask for advice from the council as to whether to they want I should break off a new thread or just drop it. Ultimately, this is their board, and they're in charge.

I think it is fallacious to assume that because any subset is a given number in a population, that is is necessary that they be a given number in a different population.

Only 8% of the RNs in this country are males. So it must be all the misandry prevalent in the nursing field that scares off the other 42%. Only 18% of the elementary and middle school teachers in this country are males. The other 32% must be put off by the sexism of all those female teachers.

Like I said, we just have different views of the topic.

This country has become one of people who are offended on behalf of someone else. If someone is that thin skinned that they would "run off" because someone made a joke about them, it is my opinion that this forum is better off without them.

This country has become one of people who are offended on behalf of someone else. If someone is that thin skinned that they would "run off" because someone made a joke about them, it is my opinion that this forum is better off without them.

Don't you have an annual to pay for? I'm not entirely sure you can afford to have an opinion right now. =D

I think it is fallacious to assume that because any subset is a given number in a population, that is is necessary that they be a given number in a different population.

Only 8% of the RNs in this country are males. So it must be all the misandry prevalent in the nursing field that scares off the other 42%. Only 18% of the elementary and middle school teachers in this country are males. The other 32% must be put off by the sexism of all those female teachers.

Like I said, we just have different views of the topic.

I've seen no response from PoC, so I'm going to keep going for now. Maybe they'll kill this or fork it off. As long as we stay civil and non-political, I don't think we're violating any ToS. The original question for the thread has pretty much been answered anyway. If the OP tells me to **** off, I'll do that, too.

You're right, of course. For many reasons, the goal is NOT 50% female pilots. There's lots of reasons why gender factors into career and hobby choices. Not all of them are due to unfair biases. The goal, instead, is that the opportunity is equal. So, you correctly call out that my statement of 4X not starting is accurate, but not super-relevant on its own.

The one that is the start-rate compared to the finish-rate. 11% vs. 5% says that the drop-out rate of women as pilots is double that of men. I wish I had solid data on why but I haven't seen it. Most reports I've seen relate it back to two primary causes, but they don't back it up with much data. Money and support are the noted factors. Dollars matter because women still don't make as much as men and tend to have higher expenses related to child-care. It massively shrinks the discretionary spending pool. Off-color jokes don't play into that directly.

Support is other one. Now here is where the meat is for this argument. Learning to fly is tough. Guys or girls, we need a social and support network. It's why PoA exists in the first place! Being told that if you are of the "wrong" gender, you have no business being heard, is not exactly supportive.

Timbeck, as for being offended for someone else, I'm not offended. I don't think those participating are idiot MRMers. I don't believe they beat their wives when no one is looking. Basically, I don't think they are being deliberately mean. I think they mean well and mean to be funny. And, of course, there's some circling of the wagons as I jabber on. But, where are the women who have the "right" to be offended? They're not here. PoA is nearly all male. Our percentage is worse than the overall percentage!

So, my argument is practical, not an offense-based principles argument. I'm selfish: I'm fairly certain this is hurting me. I'm pretty sure it's hurting you, too. I know we disagree here, which is fine.

Again, PoC, some direction? Both around what's acceptable for conversation topics (should we stop talking about this) and also comments on the body of the discussion as well.

Back