Saturday 7/15/17 flying. Benson *updated*

problematique

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jay G
Who's up for some flying Friday morning?? Our office is closed so I'm freeeeeeeeee. :cool:
I'm flying somewhere. Don't know where, but it's gonna happen. suggestions?

I have a commitment Friday morning, otherwise I'd be there. We're thinking of the Benson (E95) breakfast fly-in on Saturday, though. Not sure yet.

[Edit] Whoops, looks like I need to hang around here Saturday. Will have to save the Benson trip for next month.

Last edited:
Not this Friday, but next Sunday (4/23) Sturday, 4/22 we'll be at KSEZ.

Last edited:
KSEZ is always fun!
Heading to Show-Low Friday morning, haven't been there yet.

Wish I had the day off... but no. Here's an idea: Tomorrow is the last day that the AJO country club restaurant is open, before they close for the summer. Also, tomorrow the Gunnery Range (R-2305 etc) is going to be ever-so-hot. So, how about doing the transition through the hot restricted area to Ajo from Gila Bend? Drop in for breakfast/lunch at P01, then back through the hot range to Gila Bend? The restaurant has a limited menu, some breakfast items and hot dogs or similar for lunch.

Any Friday that you can fly is a good Friday.

Apples and Oranges. That unfortunate accident had nothing to do with hot areas, restricted areas, or MOA. It was just a case of failing to "see and avoid". It could have been a Mooney and the C150. When you fly through the GilaBend/Ajo corridor, you are under direct control of "Snake Eye", and are flying a specific route (over the highway), at a specific altitude (500 ft AGL). They know where you are, but that doesn't detract from the fun of seeing puffs of dust in the distance, or sharing radio and air space with "Badger" "knuckles" or maybe "Goose & Maverick".

Yeah I get it. I mean it just reminds me that mistakes can be made even with well trained military pilots and there's a lot less margin of error when they're moving 3 or 4 times as fast as a Cessna. The fighter jet in the above example was on a IFR route with a controller of whom knew the position of both airplanes... just a "stop and ponder" moment. I'm sure to still try it out on one of these flights!

Tim, with regard to the Gila Bend - Ajo corridor: The note on the chart says "Pilot must have current route map ..." Does that just mean a sectional (paper or electronic), or is there some other special map they publish for that corridor?

No, they just want you to acknowledge (on the radio) that you are familiar with the route.... which is directly over the highway, at 500 AGL. Sometimes, Snake Eye might ask you to vary slightly, to accommodate some training activity. The information about the restricted area transition route is in the AF/D. Can't remember where exactly, but maybe near the Gila Bend entry, or in the area where they talk about Special areas, like parachute and restricted areas.

***** edit **** found it, in the "Chart Supplement, Southwest" (what used to be the AF/D)
Page 397
Restricted Area R–2305
Gila Bend, Arizona
Transit Information

Last edited:
I need to check this forum more often. Although I had a prior flying commitment last Friday, (KTUS-KFFZ and back) I had no idea Ajo was even an option and I'd like to meet some of you fellow Arizona guys.

I'm in if I'm not working, normally off Fridays and Saturdays. Last time I was there we ate at the diner and there were no ramp fees at all.

We've moved (I think) the get-together to Saturday 4/22 at KSEZ if you want to join us!

Anyone going out flying Sunday morning?
I'm going to fly over Sycamore Creek, possibly land at the newly re-opened grapevine airport then head to Sedona for Breakfast.
The biscuits and gravy are ABSOLUTELY THE best I've ever had in my life.
Leaving KGYR @ 07:30.

I hope we can meet you at SEZ for breakfast -- not sure yet if we can get away though. I'll pm you to let you know one way or the other. Forecast for PHX on Sunday is 112-115, so it would be a good day to get out of the valley. :cool:

Looks like a slight change of plans. Going to head over to Kearny instead. I haven't been there yet.

Looks like a slight change of plans. Going to head over to Kearny instead. I haven't been there yet.

How was Kearny? Did you walk to the diner or take that van? If you walked, did you take the road or through the golf course like I did?

Kearny was great! Flew up flight of two with my buddy who has a much faster Piper. He had to slow waaay down for me to keep up. Talked to Tim ( I think that's his name) while he was working in his shop. The restaurant at the course was closed so we ended up taking the van to the restaurant in town. And that, my friend, is where the actual adventure started. On the way back I noticed the van was running super hot. pulled over to investigate in the middle of nowhere. Cop shows up...he leaves us be, we end up up in some hills still overheating since we only had half a container of anti-freeze (so somebody knew this thing had a leak, but they failed to tell us). Met some drunk guys BBQ out in front of their house.... Got some help....It's a great long story, we'll talk it out over lunch one day. Moral of the story is- It's great when the courtesy van hi-jinks is the highlight of a $100 hamburger flight!
Photo Jun 29, 10 12 50 AM.png

Anyone doing any flying tomorrow (6-30-17)
Heading to Sedona for breakfast and then..somewhere. I dunno.
Departing GYR 0745

Going to head to the Benson's Can't-Pass-Gas-Saturdays Breakfast Fly-in on 7-15-17 (E95). Sounds like fun, I've never been.
Departing KGYR at 0715hrs.

What's the story with Roy? I heard he is not going to be running the FBO much longer...just what I heard. I flew to Benson all the time during my training days but not so much in the past year.

For the Arizona guys, the diner at Ryan field is back open under new management. I haven't been yet (plane undergoing it's annual, me undergoing wallet lightening) but I hope to soon.

What's the story with Roy? I heard he is not going to be running the FBO much longer...just what I heard. I flew to Benson all the time during my training days but not so much in the past year.
Roy is still selling fuel and working on planes. Still has a rental 172 (at least). But is no longer in charge of airport operations & maintenance. I think he is now in the big hanger on the west end.

The last few times I flew there I'd have to hunt him down in order to get fuel. He was always found down in the hangar with Eric so I guess he's doing what he wants to do.

The last few times I flew there I'd have to hunt him down in order to get fuel. He was always found down in the hangar with Eric so I guess he's doing what he wants to do.
Yep, probably where he spends most of his time, especially now. If nobody is getting fueled when I land, I just call and somebody is usually there with the truck in 5-10 min.

I'd like to try to do that -- as early as possible, of course!

You still in Pilawt? I may skip the trip and head straight to Laughlin. Doesn't look like there is much interest in Benson this time around.

Last edited:
I might be in with one other. What time was everyone headed out there.

That's great news Tim, thanks for the update. I really enjoyed Todd's, so the new folks have big shoes to fill.

Hope you get the shimmy figured out. I'm wondering if putting a new tire on will do the trick?

Don't know for sure yet. I just got the new steering horn yesterday and while I'm out of town my mechanic is going to install it. Maybe that will fix it, maybe not. We'll see. I have to have a small crack repaired on the underside of my right wing skin before my annual is over. I may be flying next weekend at the earliest depending upon when the IA can come around and do his thing.

I'm out as well. My annual won't be finished until the 1st of August or beyond. I'm more than a little frustrated at this point but fixing stuff takes time and getting on other's schedules.

<----- annual still not signed off. Hopefully I'll be back up in a couple or three days.

Back