Good flight schools somewhere around LA?

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
I'm going down to visit a friend and am looking for flight school recommendations. We're both going to do "discovery flights" (I'm going to do my third one now) preferably a high wing would be ideal and 4 seats is a must.

Justice Aviation at SMO are good. Beach Cities Aviation at Hawthorne are good.

Is it your intent to pretend you are not a pilot, then amaze the instructor with your "natural talent"?

I'm going down to visit a friend and am looking for flight school recommendations. We're both going to do "discovery flights" (I'm going to do my third one now) preferably a high wing would be ideal and 4 seats is a must.

I can't think of a Los Angeles school without a C172. :)

Gordon Baxter did a column on that, trotted around visiting flight schools, posing as a prospective student. Pseudonym, "Hank Snee."

One place, he persuaded the instructor to let him land, nailed it, best landing ever, and teh guy said, "What's going on here?" Bax outed himself.

Funny story.

Is it your intent to pretend you are not a pilot, then amaze the instructor with your "natural talent"?

You could go the other way and tell them you're a highly experienced pilot and then proceed to be utterly incapable of controlling the plane. But that's been done too... though maybe never intentionally.

haha omg again? I remember your "discovery flight" in OC!

I've tried 'em all and the best is American Aviation at Van Nuys. Great maintenance, LOTS of 172's and one PA28 low wing, cheap rates, and great instructors.

\__[Ô]__/;1567733 said:
You could go the other way and tell them you're a highly experienced pilot and then proceed to be utterly incapable of controlling the plane. But that's been done too... though maybe never intentionally.
I did that at my old FBO the other week trying to get my Skyhawk legs back, and it wasn't pretty. But flew again today and got the rest of the rust knocked off.

I think you should tell the instructor you have 5000 hours in microsoft flight simulator and x-plane. Wear extra dorky clothes. Be very proud of your sim logbook. Maybe even bring a copy of said logbook.

I think you should tell the instructor you have 5000 hours in microsoft flight simulator and x-plane. Wear extra dorky clothes. Be very proud of your sim logbook. Maybe even bring a copy of said logbook.

Is that a thing? Sim logbooks? Like, do people actually do that? :eek:

Has anyone flown out of Proteus in Santa Monica? I want to get some time in a Cherokee 180 or archer and have called several times. They don't return my call and haven't answered emails. Are they still in business?

Is that a thing? Sim logbooks? Like, do people actually do that? :eek:

I haven't actually seen a physical logbook, but it wouldn't surprise me. Do a web search on Virtual Airlines. :)

I haven't actually seen a physical logbook, but it wouldn't surprise me. Do a web search on Virtual Airlines. :)

Oh yeah, that and the vatsim stuff are incredible... but maintaining a physical logbook seems like wearing epaulets to play MS Flight Sim at my PC.... sorta "too far" into the poser column. :D

Back