Good flight lesson today

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
Today, I went up in the traffic pattern with my CFI to practice takeoffs, landings, and touch and goes/go arounds.

I know I have trouble maintaining directional control of the plane on the runway during takeoffs, landings, and touch and goes/go arounds. It is because the rudder pedals are too close to me. This morning, he adjusted them further back and when I did the takeoffs and landings, it made a whole lot of difference. I was not able to maintain centerline of the runway at times during takeoff and landing rolls, but I was able to keep the plane straight down the runway without swerving left and right on the runway with my feet. He also gave me a tip on how to use the rudder pedals and toe brakes on the ground and that helped as well.

Also, we did practice one simulated engine out in the traffic pattern when I was on base. He told me to cut the corners (ie don't make the rectangular base to final turn) and try to make it to the runway. Thanks to proper trimming of the plane and achieving the best glide speed of 63 kts, and with my CFI helping just a little, I was able to land on the runway without adding power at all.

Today, my CFI told me that my takeoffs, landings, and pattern work has improved significantly and also told me that I made my very first simulated engine out landing.

Tomorrow, my CFI is going to give me a stage check or a checkride (presolo checkride I think?). We are going to go over various flight maneuvers and tasks on the ground so I will get to studying tonight.

congrats. Keep up the good work.

For take off... visualize of the need for right rudder pedal like the accelerator pedal of your car/truck.

When you are driving and want to go faster, what do you do? Step on the pedal harder.

When your airplane engine is producing more power (as you push the throttle in), what do you need to do? step on the pedal harder.

When you are driving, and going too fast, what do you do? Slowly ease off of the pedal until you achieve the speed you want.

When you are turning too far to the right on your take off roll, what do you do? Slowly ease off of the pedal until you're going straight down the runway.

And step on or off easily.. not suddenlly. And make sure to be the rudder only, not the brake.

Eventually, like driving, you'll be able to do this without consciously thinking about it.

Thanks for the advice AggieMike. But to tell you the truth, I don't think the Evektor Sportstar MAX requires a whole lot of right rudder on takeoff unlike the Cessna 162 I used to fly. I think just a little bit or some right rudder.

This morning, he adjusted them further back and when I did the takeoffs and landings, it made a whole lot of difference. I was not able to maintain centerline of the runway at times during takeoff and landing rolls, but I was able to keep the plane straight down the runway without swerving left and right on the runway with my feet. He also gave me a tip on how to use the rudder pedals and toe brakes on the ground and that helped as well.
Isn't it amazing how a couple little things can totally change your performance? Congrats on the progress and keep grinding away!

Hey KT. I noticed that the lower plane in your photo is SportStar 907SL, which if it's the real number, is the plane I often fly out here in California. Any idea of the source of that photo? Joe

I have found all through my training that things I was struggling with suddenly became things I do subconsciously now. Taxing is the perfect example, I remember one instructor telling me the yellow line was not for practicing "S" turns.:nono:

My experience was each stage I got to I struggled with something and with good patient instructors I got through it.

Keep it up and it will all come together.

I have found all through my training that things I was struggling with suddenly became things I do subconsciously now. Taxing is the perfect example, I remember one instructor telling me the yellow line was not for practicing "S" turns.:nono:

My experience was each stage I got to I struggled with something and with good patient instructors I got through it.

Keep it up and it will all come together.

X 2. Well, except for flaring (for me anyways) :)

X 2. Well, except for flaring (for me anyways) :)

That will come, too, eventually.

Then, you'll have the flip side to worry about. Flare "subconsciously" over a 150 foot wide runway when you're used to 50 or 70, and you're gonna drop it in. Gotta be aware of that one.

Back