Good deal on used Garmin 396, where?

lawingr

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
LegalEagle
Any thoughts on where to get a good deal on a used GPSMAP 396? I've looked at Ebay and am sorely depressed with how little discount there is for a used version. For $300 more I can have a brand new one!!

Am I just out of touch with the ridiculous reality that is the 396? Any thoughts?

There are very few deals to be made on eBay.

Try Craig list and keep your eyes peeled on here for one. A couple of good deals have been in our classifieds.

Any thoughts on where to get a good deal on a used GPSMAP 396? I've looked at Ebay and am sorely depressed with how little discount there is for a used version. For $300 more I can have a brand new one!!

Am I just out of touch with the ridiculous reality that is the 396? Any thoughts?

Let me know if you find one and ask them if they have 2. I'm looking for one too but agree with you on the price and the depression:eek:

W.

I don't know if Ebay is that bad. I bought a like new 396 with an additional 128MB Garmin data card and all the original accessories for $1400. That's a good deal, and $300+$100 for the data card less than new does make a difference.

-Felix

The hard part about ebay is wading through all of the scams. They're pretty easy to pick out if you know what you're looking for...but it was at least half of the listings when i was looking.

The hard part about ebay is wading through all of the scams. They're pretty easy to pick out if you know what you're looking for...but it was at least half of the listings when i was looking.

And since some of us might not know what we're looking for (I include myself in this group), please enlighten us.

Thanks!

And since some of us might not know what we're looking for (I include myself in this group), please enlighten us.

Thanks!

I just looked and there aren't as many as there were. Maybe ebay has learned some lessons. Some things to look for...

1) Somebody with low feedback numbers (15-20) but they have 20 items listed. Mostly sought after electronics like laptops and gps units. The account was jacked and they're trying to get in some 24 hour auctions before they're caught.

2) A big bold e-mail address right in the middle of the ad stating to contact them at that address to complete the transaction. They want to get you out of the ebay system and "sell" it to you off the site.

3) Stock photography. They use the pictures off of garmin's site instead of taking pictures of the unit that they own.

4) Priced too good to be true and others aren't hopping all over it.

That should get you started...

Back