Good day yesterday

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Im back in Ames for Memorial Day weekend. Was hoping to do some great soaring flights but it looks like the weather is not cooperating. however, got to fly the 421 about 5 hrs yesterday. blasted off early in the morning for air sampling in Lincoln, NE and Waterloo, IA. quite fun. winds were pretty strong aloft. Departing Ames for Waterloo, we did a nonstop climb to FL250. Only problem was by the time we got there, probably around 60 miles or so, we still werent quite there. a couple circling climbs and we made it. At one point in the climb, at quite high altitude, I noticed that with a blue line climb of approximately 125 mph indicated (100 knots i think) we were showing ground speeds of over 200 knots!! the view and the flying at FL250 are always nice. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N42776/history/20070527/1510Z/KAMW/KALO
Ill be posting some pictures, and a few short videos to youtube, when I get back home.

got back from that about noon and called up the two newest students in the glider club. both are super motivated and a true asset to the club. with instructor, tow pilot, students, and gliders all arranged we flew as much as we could. The soaring was, generally, lousy. I managed to milk some really weak lift, cow fart kind of stuff, to extend a couple of the flights by a few minutes. Other features of the afternoon included a 300 foot "simulated" tow failure with return to landing. The pinnacle achievement for me was a flight with the more advanced student of the two. We managed to keep the Blanik (of pilotcast video fame) aloft for an hour, from 430 to 530 in lift that is best described as 200 foot per minute, at the best. often i was circling in less than 100 fpm. havent had to work that hard in a long time! Ended up with 8 glider flights total, 4 in the blanik and 4 in the Schweizer 2-22. That added up to 3 hours which gave me an 8 hour day! Haven't had one of those in quite a while. Sadly I didnt get a chance to fly single engine and make it a hat trick day. Those are truly my favorite and Ive only been able to do it a few times.

One of the students has his Private-Glider checkride in about 5 hours. I think today will be filled with doing some towing and more glider instruction. Evening features the annual club picnic and then I gotta drive back to Cedar Rapids.

Good day!

If I'd have known you were over Lincoln, I might have pulled out my super-duper slingshot.:hairraise:

Sounds to me like you've had one hell of a weekend so far, Tony.

hey thanks nick, and welcome back. did 2 glider tows, two flights in my glider (short, couldnt find any lift) and then 3 instructional glider flights today. My PP-G student from yesterday passed his checkride and capped it off with the annual club picnic to celebrate summer. I just got back to Cedar Rapids and am beat so the pictures and video will have to wait for tomorrow.

Good thing there's a description with your link or else I'd think you were really, really lost. :D

Did you notice the track log shows a groundspeed of 292 at one point? Whoa.

no i didnt kate, doesnt surprise me though. we do some pretty steep descents, about 2000 feet per minute, in between the samples. so on the downwind side of the turns the GS's couldve easily gotten that high with the winds at altitude.

Attachments

• DSC01129.JPG
    DSC01129.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC01132.JPG
    DSC01132.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC01133.JPG
    DSC01133.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 7
Back