Good annual, Bad Annual

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Good:
I only had $136 in parts discrepancies from my IA.
Bad:
I sent the stabilator horn out for replacement, and that ran me $1490.

Good:
It was a terminating action for the AD.
Bad:
It still took double the hours I thought it would to swap out the horn.

Good:
Paint touch up on the wings was almost a perfect match.
Bad:
The accent colors are still brown.

Good:
While doing the touch up they buffed and polished the sections adjacent and the cream paint looks almost new.
Bad: Now I have to buff and polish the rest of the $*%&#^! plane to get it all to look the same.

Good:
I put 38s on the back two cylinders and kept 40s on the front four and now all my CHTs are between 320 and 345 in cruise.
Bad:
It sort of messes with my need for uniformity.

Good:
7500MSL, WOT, 2300RPM, 11gph fuel burn which means flying will be approximately $12/hr cheaper.
Bad:
Still haven't found a supermodel with a nice rack to ride right seat for weekend trips.

Good:
I put 38s on the back two cylinders and kept 40s on the front four and now all my CHTs are between 320 and 345 in cruise.
Bad:
It sort of messes with my need for uniformity.

That's a false "Bad" - the CHTs are now uniform.

Curious as to what the cht's were before. My #5 runs about 30 deg warmer than the rest. Thinking about a baffle "bump" mod to get some air moving past the head there. Mine all run a little warmer (360-380-ish) due to the Lopresti cowl.

Rem38 e's or s's?

Good:

Good:
7500MSL, WOT, 2300RPM, 11gph fuel burn which means flying will be approximately $12/hr cheaper.

What kind of TAS you get at that power/alt/fuel combination?

Curious as to what the cht's were before. My #5 runs about 30 deg warmer than the rest. Thinking about a baffle "bump" mod to get some air moving past the head there. Mine all run a little warmer (360-380-ish) due to the Lopresti cowl.

Rem38 e's or s's?

Well, before the cylinders were all redone last year, I was always cool, even seeing it down to 270 on the front two. Then I put 40E on all 6 cylinders. 1-4 ran around 320-350, but 5 and 6 were pushing 400 in cruise unless I ran 2gallons richer than I did prior, and on climbout it was nigh impossible keeping it below 400. So I put 38E back on 5 and 6 this annual.

Yesterday (and granted it's only one flight) the highest cruise temp was 345, and that cylinder number 4. Number 5 was 340 and number 6 was 320ish. Oh, and I was showing 11.1gph fuel flow while at WOT and 2300RPM.

On the horn AD, Heritage Aero in Rockford took care of me. They received it on a Monday, and I had it back the next Monday. You send em the balance arm, horn, torque tubes and bearing blocks, they do what needs to be done, paint it, give you the 337 and logbook entry sticker, and you're good to go.

What kind of TAS you get at that power/alt/fuel combination?

I actually didn't check my TAS yesterday I on the flight as I was looking everything over, but when I took a glance IAS was between 130 and 140kts. Which one it was closer to, that I can't tell ya.

Good to know about Heritage. My friend just did his 260B. Had Johnston do the work, and though the actual work was great, the Baltimore FSDO had some paperwork issues. Got them resolved, but it took 6hrs of AI time on the phone.

My numbers are very similar to yours. 1-4 run around 360, hard to keep 5 and 6 under 400 without running a little rich, especially down low with OAT's getting warmer. Climbout gets above 410 if I am any slower that 130. Egt's are dead even across the board. I'm running 40S, but based on your experience I'm going to try switching 5&6 to 38E and see what happens.

Good to know about Heritage. My friend just did his 260B. Had Johnston do the work, and though the actual work was great, the Baltimore FSDO had some paperwork issues. Got them resolved, but it took 6hrs of AI time on the phone.

My numbers are very similar to yours. 1-4 run around 360, hard to keep 5 and 6 under 400 without running a little rich, especially down low with OAT's getting warmer. Climbout gets above 410 if I am any slower that 130. Egt's are dead even across the board. I'm running 40S, but based on your experience I'm going to try switching 5&6 to 38E and see what happens.

Why was the FSDO involved? It's just a 337/logbook entry.

Last I heard you had a very interested buyer, any progress? You need to update your sale page with the new numbers and upgrades. :)

Why was the FSDO involved? It's just a 337/logbook entry.

I don't have the exact details, but something about the identifying the owner of the stc when the FSDO reviewed the 337 paperwork submitted by the AI. I guess this was the first one that Baltimore has seen.

Back