Good Aircraft Polish

teamcoltra

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rev. Travis
I have a Piper Cherokee 140 and people have been suggesting that I should get a new coat of paint, but honestly to me the paint looks in great condition but is just a bit oxidized (and not even that bad) and I don't see the need to paint it (maybe if I choose to sell it down the road).

So I was wondering before the weather gets too cold and I don't want to wash down my plane anymore... is there any good polish or method to getting the shine back to my paint without damaging the plane?

Here are some pictures
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/lqqyrohrn9x16x3/XywfcdjPMd

I have a Piper Cherokee 140 and people have been suggesting that I should get a new coat of paint, but honestly to me the paint looks in great condition but is just a bit oxidized (and not even that bad) and I don't see the need to paint it (maybe if I choose to sell it down the road).

So I was wondering before the weather gets too cold and I don't want to wash down my plane anymore... is there any good polish or method to getting the shine back to my paint without damaging the plane?

Here are some pictures
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/lqqyrohrn9x16x3/XywfcdjPMd

Any good cleaner wax will do the job, some are easier than others.

I like to use any of the good marine cleaner wax. Also use marine polish after the cleaner wax.

I'd recommend a polisher if you have access to one. You don't realize how much surface area a small plane has.

I'd recommend a polisher if you have access to one. You don't realize how much surface area a small plane has.

Oh man, just be careful. Even with a random orbit, it's real easy to overheat the aluminum and end up with wrinkled skins. Know of one Comanche that ended up with new tailfeathers that way. If you're not pretty experienced, I'd stick with hand methods.

3M Finesse It using one of their foam pads on an angle buffer, min 2800rpm. Then use Collenite Insulator Wax. If the paint is dark and in decent enough condition, it might be worth doing a second buffing with 3M's Perfect It III after the Finesse It before waxing.

Like to polish by hand ,after all it's a labor of love.

Back