Gonna be a fun flight back into the bay area today...

Ya I was on approach last year going into KCIC and watched a funnel go from right to left just south of the field.

Definately getting some thunder/hail/heavy rain right now in the Sacramento area.

They have tornadoes in california?

Not really, and they don't have March floods either. Vermont doesn't have hurricanes either. Anybody still in the light of the last 2-3 years weather patterns that climate change, regardless the cause, deny that it exists?

We have gotten an occassional funnel cloud (it is rare,though). One even did some damage last year. Also, Sacramento, I believe is number two on the list for flood risk. We are surrounded by rivers.

We have gotten an occassional funnel cloud (it is rare,though). One even did some damage last year. Also, Sacramento, I believe is number two on the list for flood risk. We are surrounded by rivers.

3 months late... I lived on Bradford Island and worked the Bay area for a few years a decade ago in weather that was predictable within a week or so of rainy season since Dana's days. Last few years have seen long historic weather patterns seeing significant changes and increasing severity. Don't believe me? Watch Deadliest Catch, every season has record breaking storms hitting further down than before.

Last edited:
I lived in the Bay Area for 25 years and the Sacramento Valley for 15. The winters have been hugely variable since I moved there in 1972. We've had mild winters, El Nino winters, drought winters and lashing rain windstorm winters. Looking at the big picture, I don't see the "increasing severity" at all.

I believe in climate change. I don't think "the last few years" are any evidence of it. There's way too much variance in the data to draw that conclusion - it's just confirmation bias.

I lived in the Bay Area for 25 years and the Sacramento Valley for 15. The winters have been hugely variable since I moved there in 1972. We've had mild winters, El Nino winters, drought winters and lashing rain windstorm winters. Looking at the big picture, I don't see the "increasing severity" at all.

How many tornadoes since 1972?

There was a small tornado a few miles from WVI about 10 years ago that destroyed a couple greenhouses and about five years ago I saw a funnel cloud forming just north of Salinas. Fortunately, it didn't touch down, and I was on the ground.

Back