Gone West - Joseph Ermel

Humpty

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Humpty
It’s with a very heavy heart and sadness to announce the passing of Joseph ‘Joe’ Ermel. Joe was involved a motor vehicle accident on Wednesday October 27th and succumbed to his injuries. On behalf of EAA Chapter 15 and its members, our condolences go out to his mother Aymee Zimmerman and her family.

I'm the President of EAA Chapter 15, and it's always tough to pass on information like this... the passing of a fellow chapter member. But this… by far… has been the toughest to write. Joe was only 19 yrs old. Joe was our Chapters first Ray Aviation Foundation Scholar. Some of you may know his grandfather, Arnie Zimmerman. Arnie flew his Breezy for many years at Oshkosh, giving rides to anyone that walked up. Other may know his mother Aymee... she volunteers each year at AirVenture and is the queen of aviation selfies :)

I wanted to help out the family with the funeral expenses by starting a gofundme page. Amyee is a single mother of 3 and this has been devastating for her and her father, Arnie. The last thing we want them to do is worry about the bills forthcoming. So, please pass this on... anything is something. If the goal is reached and exceeded, the extra funds will go toward a scholarship in Joe's name to help send youths to EAA's Air Academy at Oshkosh.

Link:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/joseph-e...dium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1

Darren Lilja - President EAA Chapter 15

249574902_10224156564136093_3396064723740832060_n.jpg

249524477_10224156563496077_2776482138072384655_n.jpg

250770911_4431586510250528_2323747368693027778_n.jpg

I’m very sorry to hear this, my sincere condolences to the family and friends. It’s always especially difficult when a young man with a full life ahead passes so soon. :(

Joseph Ermel was my son he was my best friend. Not only was he a great pilot he was also a phenomenal guitar player as well. Over the past few days it's really hard for me to fathom how much he was an influence with everyone he met. Joseph was my only son. I would like to thank everyone for leaving kind wonderful messages for my daughter and I to read during this difficult time of our lives.

My sincerest condolences.

Joseph Ermel was my son he was my best friend. Not only was he a great pilot he was also a phenomenal guitar player as well. Over the past few days it's really hard for me to fathom how much he was an influence with everyone he met. Joseph was my only son. I would like to thank everyone for leaving kind wonderful messages for my daughter and I to read during this difficult time of our lives.

As a fellow guitar player and pilot, I wish I had had the chance to know your. My sincerest condolences for your loss.

So sorry. I can't imagine the grief of having to bury your child, that's not how this is supposed to go.

This is tragic. Can't imagine the grief level. Glad he had the opportunity to fly, in the short time he had.

Update: Joe was flown home today from Southern Illinois to Brookridge Airport in Downers Grove, IL. He was flown in style, in a Pilatus. His pilot was retired United Airlines pilot Edmundo Aillon Sr, who was also Joe's first flight instructor. The weather was pretty chilly, but well over 100 people gathered to welcome him home. People parked as far away as a 1/2 mile to attend. If you would like to find out more information and want to follow EAA Chapter 15's posts for the rest of the week, you can view them on the Chapters facebook page. The memorial for Joe is being held Friday, and group fly-by will take place at Clow International Airport (1C5) Saturday around 1:30pm CST. People will be gathering at the airport starting at Noon. Also, if you would like to share your thoughts with the family, you can post on the facebook page and I am 100% certain they will see it.

Also, we've had questions about donations and some would like to donate without going through the GoFundMe page. If you are one of them, you can email us at info@eaa15.org and we can provide an address to send a check. All of the proceeds will help with the memorial and will also go towards a scholarship fund in Joe's name. The fund will help send kids to EAA's Air Academy in Oshkosh, a camp Joe that Joe attended as a youth and where he made life long friends.
250868075_3094420137454164_4656218034373933250_n.jpg

252450302_4887192754659180_7886276923080981824_n.jpg

May I offer my deepest condolences. I pray the grief you and your daughter are experiencing will be assuaged by the support of those close to you, and that in time the pain will lessen. I know you will cherish the memories of the light your son was in your life, and I hope those thoughts will eventually help fill the void left by Joseph's passing.

May his memory be for a blessing.

Thank you, Darren.
Your words and care have meant so much to our Family. Joey loved being a part of Chapter 15, and he was so Blessed to be your inaugural Ray Scholar. Thank you for being a part of his Journey. He loved the relationship you two had. I know he was happy doing all of the things he did. He loved volunteering at Oshkosh, and loved working at the airport.
I loved being able to fly with him. We created so many beautiful Memories Together. Our relationship was something special for sure. As you know, he constantly pushed me to finish my Flight training and "get flying already..." In his honor, I will do that.
Thank you again for being there for our Family. We love you.
Please continue to keep us in your Prayers.
See you on the Flightline.

Back