"Goldfinger"

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
The James Bond flick Goldfinger was on AMC last night, and I saw it again for the first time in many years. It's interesting to see it now, post 9/11. Remember "***** Galore's Flying Circus"? Five Piper Cherokees flying in formation (three Cherokee 'B's, one -140 and one -235), with small metal canisters secured to the underwing tiedowns. (For anyone who hasn't seen the film, the villian's plan was for the Cherokees to spray nerve gas over Fort Knox, to give him access to the gold stockpile there.) Of course, each Cherokee was piloted by a gorgeous blonde.

This 1964 film may have planted in the minds of today's public, media and politicians the mythical image of terrorists with small GA airplanes spraying poison gas over the countryside. Unfortunate.

Other GA aircraft appearing in the film were the bad guy's Lockheed JetStar and Hiller helicopter; the only aircraft in the hands of good guys was the Brantly B-2B rescue helicopter at the end of the film.

The JetStar ground scenes were filmed in England, near Pinewood Studios. The Hiller helicopter that appeared in those same scenes had the registration "N-ASAZ" -- probably a "G-" registration with the first letter covered over because it was supposed to be in the US.

Does anyone know where the Cherokee ground scenes were filmed? It looked like it could have been Vero Beach, which would make sense.

-- Pilawt

Note also that, as the planes flew over (at some altitude), the troops on the ground all collapsed almost instantly. That's some dispersal medium!

SCCutler said:
Note also that, as the planes flew over (at some altitude), the troops on the ground all collapsed almost instantly. That's some dispersal medium!
That's the well-known "Hershey-Bar effect," the powerful downwash from those laminar-flow Cherokee wings! :p

(Of course, there was a plot twist we can't discuss without giving away the denouement of this most sophisticated story line!) :D

By the way, was it such a good marketing move for each of the Cherokees to have the name "PIPER" in 12-inch block letters on the cowl?

-- Pilawt

Last edited:
Pilawt said:
...laminar-flow Cherokee wings! :p

(Spike laughs out loud!)

Pilawt said:
By the way, was it such a good marketing move for each of the Cherokees to have the name "PIPER" in 12-inch block letters on the cowl?

Waht, there's a problem with having your products used to poison thousands of soldiers in a plot to raid the treasury?

I find it interesting how society as a whole nowadays overthink every little detail so much to avoid offending anyone under any circumstances no matter what. And even if that works out ok, they start looking into possible past setups that might possibly offend someone.

OTOH, many moons in the past: They needed a way to attack the place successfully and quickly according to the general plot. They thought they wanted to try something new thus an air raid might do without adding 20 minutes to the show. Might as well gas them villian style so there's no drawn out fight after the attack. So...end result: (1) The writers have a workable solution (2) Piper thinks "free advertisement" (3) James Bond wins another one (4) The audience goes home smiling after an exciting show (5) Everyone is happy and doesn't think another thing about it when they walk out the door at the end of the day.

Older is obsolete and touchy feely incorrect...but that doesn't mean newer touchy feely correct is necessarily better.

fgcason said:
So...end result: (1) The writers have a workable solution (2) Piper thinks "free advertisement" (3) James Bond wins another one (4) The audience goes home smiling after an exciting show (5) Everyone is happy and doesn't think another thing about it when they walk out the door at the end of the day.
(4) is super important. The story is everything! Being PC is a good way to ruin a story, both as a writer or director and as a member of the audience. People should just lighten up and give themselves over to entertainment, because fiction is our way of living the things we wouldn't ordinarily encounter in our everyday lives.

Just my opinion. I am now writing about murder and mayhem, and loving it.

Did you check out the women allegedly flying those Cherokees, and their retro, go-go outfits? Guess, they weren't retro then.

Anthony said:
Did you check out the women allegedly flying those Cherokees, and their retro, go-go outfits? Guess, they weren't retro then.
I save my retro go-go for when it's no-go.

The Cherokee flying was done out of Bowman Field in Louisville KY, supported by Dick Mulloy's Kentucky Flying Service. I believe one of PGFC pilots was Brooks Richards, one of Dick's charter pilots -- a rather statuesque blonde.

fgcason said:
I find it interesting how society as a whole nowadays overthink every little detail so much to avoid offending anyone under any circumstances no matter what. And even if that works out ok, they start looking into possible past setups that might possibly offend someone.
PC?! *Moi*?? :eek: I didn't mean it to be as serious as it probably appears. The point was not whether the film was "offensive" (I think it's great fun; and I've no great fear of being offended -- or offending, for that matter); just a comment on how our world has changed: that what 40+ years ago was a filmmaker's clever plot device is now a widely-held (though irrational) fear about the "threat" of G.A.

The marketing question was tongue-in-cheek, as "product placement" is $uch a $ignificant part of filmmaking these days.

The plots of Bond films lend themselves so well to scholarly analysis, don't you think? :drink::blowingkisses::yes:

anthony said:
Did you check out the women allegedly flying those Cherokees, and their retro, go-go outfits?
No. That's what I told my wife and I'm stickin' to it. :rolleyes:

Ron Levy said:
The Cherokee flying was done out of Bowman Field in Louisville KY, supported by Dick Mulloy's Kentucky Flying Service. I believe one of PGFC pilots was Brooks Richards, one of Dick's charter pilots -- a rather statuesque blonde.
Thanks, Ron. That's interesting. I read somewhere that if you look closely at a quick cut in the film you can see a burly guy with a blonde pigtail wig in one of the airplanes.

-- Pilawt

Pilawt said:
I didn't mean it to be as serious as it probably appears.

I think you read past the "society as a whole" bit of that statement.

Pilawt said:
just a comment on how our world has changed

Exactly my point.

Pilawt said:
that what 40+ years ago was a filmmaker's clever plot device is now a widely-held (though irrational) fear about the "threat" of G.A.

I don't think the 40+ yr ago plot was specifically the problem or even related to the current anti GA mess, probably not even subconciously. Few people probably even remember the Bond series unless they grew up with it and I have yet to hear anything that would connect the two. (Heck, I've seen kids that are 20 somethings now, that don't know what "The Princess Bride" is) I think we just have a coincidence here that just happens to match up with the current chicken little routine. The news heads want GA out of the picture anyway and they are taking merciless advantage of the situation just because GA planes are somewhat the same shape as airliners are...that's close enough to start a witch hunt...

It's a silly movie, nothing more. Pop it in the VCR and watch it for the entertainment that it is.
People on a whole need to quit worrying so much and just have fun and quit hyperventilating over nothing...

fgcason said:
I think you read past the "society as a whole" bit of that statement.

Exactly my point.

I don't think the 40+ yr ago plot was specifically the problem or even related to the current anti GA mess, probably not even subconciously. Few people probably even remember the Bond series unless they grew up with it and I have yet to hear anything that would connect the two. (Heck, I've seen kids that are 20 somethings now, that don't know what "The Princess Bride" is) I think we just have a coincidence here that just happens to match up with the current chicken little routine. The news heads want GA out of the picture anyway and they are taking merciless advantage of the situation just because GA planes are somewhat the same shape as airliners are...that's close enough to start a witch hunt...

It's a silly movie, nothing more. Pop it in the VCR and watch it for the entertainment that it is.
People on a whole need to quit worrying so much and just have fun and quit hyperventilating over nothing...

And like the professional critics advise of most flicks, "It's a much more entertaining movie if before viewing, you take a stupid pill !" (or in the case of the general public, none needed, would be redundant)

Back