Going to chicago

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
I may be flying to Chicago next month and was wondering if any of you have a suggestion on which airport would be best to fly in to. I will need a rental car when I get there and a tie down for the night.

If you'll be in the north burbs, Palwaukee.
Northwest, Schaumburg (1900 or below!)
South, Lewis University(Joliet) or Lansing.

You can get a deal on the rental car at MillionAir at Midway, but whatever you save on the car you'll lose on the fees.

mikea said:
If you'll be in the north burbs, Palwaukee.
Northwest, Schaumburg (1900 or below!)
South, Lewis University(Joliet) or Lansing.

You can get a deal on the rental car at MillionAir at Midway, but whatever you save on the car you'll lose on the fees.

Instead of Schaumburg, if you are headed in formt he NW try 3CK, Lake in the Hills. They have several instrument approaches whereas Schaumburg has none. You can call ahead for a rental car or Enterprise will come pick you up, they are near the airport at the Crystal Lake Holiday Inn.

Palwaukee can be expensive but this is the closest airport before you end up within the city limits. To south you have more choices that are closer but if it is big airport service you need try Waukegan to the north or DuPAge to the west.

On the southside a nice small little airport is Morris but it is quit a ways form Chicago. Closer in you have Lewis and Lansing. Both very nice.

I will be flying in from the SW, as for where I am going, not sure yet. My brother has a trade show there and I was going to fly up and see him. Somewhere on the southside would be fine.

Dean said:
I will be flying in from the SW, as for where I am going, not sure yet. My brother has a trade show there and I was going to fly up and see him. Somewhere on the southside would be fine.

Lansing, Griffith-Merriville, Joliet are all good choices. Close enough to the city to drive and GA friendly. I have been to all three fields and each is very good. JOT is probably the least used but it is a fine place. All can arrange for a car for you and each has ample tie down space. Typical costs in these areas for daily tie down is free to $10/day. Feel free to drop me a line if you need some specifics about Chicago flying conditions. I am off to Denver this week but am on email the whole time.

Back