Going to be flying in to Juneau for the weekend. Any PIREPs?

Cavorter

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Robert
I've never been to Alaska and so decided why not fly there for a long weekend. My plan is to fly in to Juneau and spend the weekend there. It is intriguing that the only way in to Juneau is by air or sea: No way to drive there! Sounds like a perfect place to visit by plane.

Any suggestions on stuff to do or not to to do would be greatly appreciated. Places to stay, to eat, to visit from people in the know would be great. Also any tips on flying in to PAJN or other places to fly to in the area would be good.

Mendenhall Glacier is kinda nice.

There is a cute downtown there. It's a very low key city.

But you will never see bald eagles in the same light again. After the first 200 dumpster divers, they start to look like rats.

You can't drive there because of the huge ice field in the mountains above.

IFR or VFR?

The weather has been pretty tough here the last few days. (I am guessing you are not planning to fly here this weekend) I have had to turn back on three trips in the last week, due to either low visibility or low ceilings or both. Weather up the coast can be challenging IFR and VFR. IFR due to lack of usable alternates within fuel range.

A lot of commercial flying in and out of Juneau, there are helicopters operating in flights of 4 or more on the taxiway side of the airport and a seaplane lane on the other side. I have taken off and landed with aircraft on both sides of me doing the same thing. All local pilots use local landmarks instead of distance and direction from the airport. The tower is a training tower but the controllers are friendly and very helpful to pilots that are not familiar.

Gliding distance to the shore line is easy, but sometimes that shore line is almost vertical.

Ride the tram at Juneau, hike the Mendenhall glacier trails and I have yet to find a decent restaurant worth its menu prices. (My wife is pretty picky that way, especially Asian food) While you are here you might as well go up to Skagway (about a 45 minute flight) for a historical visit. Or fly to Gustavis (about 35 minute flight) and take a day boat tour. https://www.nps.gov/glba/planyourvisit/glacier-bay-tour-boat.htm

There are whale watching boats, helicopter tours up to the ice fields, and of course the Alaskan Brewery and Bottling Company.

There is more than I can think of right now since I work here and am not a tourist. Try this link for more info: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g31020-Activities-Juneau_Alaska.html

Don't make tight schedules, be very elastic. And yes, it is sort of disappointing to see an eagle come out of the trash can next to McDonalds.

Otherwise it is a blast. Have fun and take plenty of pictures.!!

After living in northwest and north Alaska for years, I really don't think of Juneau as being in Alaska, more like Seattle with a whole lot less people. :)

But you will never see bald eagles in the same light again. After the first 200 dumpster divers, they start to look like rats.

I wonder how those cars got there?

How did all these cars get there?
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Juneau,+AK/@58.3005961,-134.4057459,3a,90y,289.65h,80.8t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s-jgrNCU8VcRI/V8BppyWF-DI/AAAAAAAAAls/wkW8Qhsp6C4C-dv1IZP_tmo0DpbjfPmuwCLIB!2e4!3e11!6s//lh4.googleusercontent.com/-jgrNCU8VcRI/V8BppyWF-DI/AAAAAAAAAls/wkW8Qhsp6C4C-dv1IZP_tmo0DpbjfPmuwCLIB/w203-h101-n-k-no/!7i4712!8i2356!4m5!3m4!1s0x5400de6c6f6a3a8f:0x65ef25aae69f311!8m2!3d58.3019444!4d-134.4197222!6m1!1e1

Yer Right, there are no roads that go there, but the FERRY does.

My plan is to come in IFR but I'm hoping for decent weather because if it is possible I would much prefer to do the last portion at least VFR and have some freedom to do some sightseeing from the air. I'm flexible on which weekend I go so will wait for the right time.

I see that the only approaches are for 08 with high minimums like a typical mountain airport. Not surprising considering the high terrain around the airport. How busy is the area? I see the sectional warns about a lot of tourist flying ops.

I wonder how those cars got there?

The first guy said "No way to drive there."

The second guy said "You can't drive there because of the huge ice field in the mountains above."

As in you cannot drive TO Juneau.

Not that you cannot drive IN Juneau.

Stop being obtuse.

The first guy said "No way to drive there."

The second guy said "You can't drive there because of the huge ice field in the mountains above."

As in you cannot drive TO Juneau.

Not that you cannot drive IN Juneau.

Stop being obtuse.
WHY? did you drive onto the Ferry? did you drive off?

WHY? did you drive onto the Ferry? did you drive off?

4415678.jpg

My plan is to come in IFR but I'm hoping for decent weather because if it is possible I would much prefer to do the last portion at least VFR and have some freedom to do some sightseeing from the air. I'm flexible on which weekend I go so will wait for the right time.

I see that the only approaches are for 08 with high minimums like a typical mountain airport. Not surprising considering the high terrain around the airport. How busy is the area? I see the sectional warns about a lot of tourist flying ops.

Yeah, high minimums because there not much room for a missed approach.

It can be really busy airspace to almost no traffic, all in the same hour. Throw in low vis and clouds when the scheds return and it can get really crowded.

The tourist flying around the airport is helicopters, while Otters on floats take off from the downtown area. Helicopter traffic will stay on the north side of the runway, while the floats stay on the south side. The tourist crowds are starting to dwindle, so less helicopter traffic now.

ADS-B is used by most commercial operators and is very helpful.

I'll be driving out on 06 October, driving out to the ferry dock then onto the ferry that is, then a 24 hour trip to Prince Rupert, where I will drive off the ferry and on the road to New Mexico.

I don't know what the big deal is about not being able to drive to Juneau, I can't drive to Honolulu either.

Back