Going / Getting to KSDM [Brown - San Diego] from the North . . .

comanchepilot

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Joe Farrell, yeah, him
I'll be coming into this airport next Friday about 845am. Need to get the wife to her Global Entry appt [LAX/CHI/PHL and places she normally goes are all sked appts in Feb 2014!!!] and we're heading out of the country for a trip late Nov - so I looked around and found a good appt @ Otay Mesa outside San Diego so we are flying there -

Anyway - gotta cross the entire Bravo to get there - coming in from V186 down the Mo-Val, over Temecula, then across the SAN final to get to SDM. . . .

any particular issues to worry about? I know that SoCal hands out Bravo clearances like candy out here - but this one might be a little bit more of a challenge - the TEC route is the standard TEC to SDM is
POC PDZ V186 HAILE V66 MZB SDM which in the real world means the TEC to ROBNN and then vectors to the visual -

If there are any clouds obviously I'll be IFR which might just be easier anyway - thoughts from those who have done it?

After that I'll be dropping her off at Burbank - and she'll be getting a cab / crew car to work - which of the 2 TEC's usually gets assigned???

I was based at SDM for a while before we moved to AZ. VFR I would simply stay east of the Bravo and turn west to SDM when abreast of the field. I used this frequently.

I didn't talk to anyone except SDM tower.

Paul
2AZ1

All I can say is Gillespie Field has always been the most convenient place for me to fly to. The drive to downtown San Diego is really a non event.

If you're departing SDM IFR, they will assign you the SDM IFR ODP then MZB293/SLI148. Forget the radials, just use PEBLE intersection. Is is listed on the hi altitude chart (and not the low alt) so they can't issue PEBLE int.

Also, don't mistake TIJ for SDM. :D

If the wx requires it, file IFR and go where they tell you.

If wx is good, this is what I would do:

Plug this into ForeFlight:

F70 HERDS VPSSV PGY KSDM

Keep in mind, from Temecula, you really want to go direct to Lake Poway, but it doesn't have its own waypoint. If you use HERDS, you can at least see the general route I am talking about.

You are basically shooting for getting down under the Bravo and flying between Poway and the Ramona D. Shoot for overflying San Vicente Island at 3000' and then heading direct for PGY. From there descend to 2500' and overfly the SEE D. Contact SDM Tower as you approach the VOR. You will be well underneath the Lindbergh arrivals.

Only real thing to worry about is to keep your head on a swivel as you transition over SEE and approach Mt Helix. At the time you are talking about arriving, traffic shouldn't be too bad, but it can get a lot of cross-traffic going in/out of MYF.

If you want to talk to SoCal, just go IFR and take the VOR approach. I don't see much advantage to VFR flight following in that case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No I don't think that should be a huge issue or trouble. Watch out for a ton of mil traffic just east of miramar......I know they used to deconflict VFR traffic with us, but it wasn't by very much. 2500' IIRC was basically their coordination altitude going over the approach corridor. That V route is basically right over the initial for RWY24. In other words you will have guys descending out of the initial for the 2200' overhead/1500' pattern all around you. Shouldn't be an issue, just something to look out for.

Also, if roll out on final and see a 747 or some other heavy cargo jet on the ramp, you are in Mexico. If you see a prison off to your right, you are headed to the correct airport. :)

Back