Going for third-class medical with an ADD diagnosis...switch to LSA?

Let me see if I have all this straight: you have ADD, major depressive disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, social anxiety disorder, plus at least one incident of illegal use of a controlled substance.

Is your CFI aware of all this? Is he still willing to provide instruction? Seems like even for Sport he might at least want to see a note or two from your doctor saying you're not a risk, just for his own piece of mind.

Correct. My CFI is not aware of any of this at the moment, I have only had a few hours of instructions. As far as the diagnoses, they were all made in my pre-teen/teenage years & I don't consider them particularly valid right now (currently in my mid-20s). I am a stable, functioning person, I am not medicated, do not see a psychiatrist/psychologist & I do not consider myself "depressed" or anything of the sort. My doctor brings it up when I go in for physicals every couple years, & I tell him that I'm doing fine.

As far as a doctor's note goes...my PCP would have no problem signing off on my mental health & saying that I am stable, but, as Dr. Bruce informed me, that won't be good enough for the FAA. If I wanted to prove to the FAA that I am "mentally stable," an FAA psych would have to examine me & make that call.

On second thought maybe you should not fly. I missed the illegal drug part. Yes you can fool the system by going LSA but i'm no longer certain I want to share the skies with you. Good luck to you.

As far as a doctor's note goes...my PCP would have no problem signing off on my mental health & saying that I am stable, ...

Y'know, that might not be a bad idea, even as a Sport Pilot. If an issue ever came up, having such a note from your doctor would at least show you weren't being negligent and that you had good reason to evaluate yourself as being safe to fly.

I'm working on my Sport ticket and using a DL medical. Even though there's no requirement for me to see an AME, before I started training I got a complete physical from my PCP including a complete set of labs, EKG, chest xray, etc. My self-assessment of fitness has a valid basis.

OP, I dont know you, but I have heard your story more times than I can count. I am going to take you at face value since you are owning up to some sensitive things that you dont have to. Based on what you are saying, I would be happy to share the skies with you! I think you have a decent shot at getting the Class III, are you willing to try and lose? I think if it were me, I would just go LSA. You are young and believe it or not, the FAA is loosening up on many of the draconian regs, it might be even easier in years to come. So many young people are caught in the trap of having to be diagnosed with "something" so some doc can get paid, mommy doesnt have to feel guilty and the schools have a zombie that wont disrupt class. Good luck to you.

On second thought maybe you should not fly. I missed the illegal drug part. Yes you can fool the system by going LSA but i'm no longer certain I want to share the skies with you. Good luck to you.

Not everyone was raised by nuns in a convent. It sounds to me like OP had some issues, worked through them, and is trying to do the right thing. That's good enough for me.

Rich

Y'know, that might not be a bad idea, even as a Sport Pilot. If an issue ever came up, having such a note from your doctor would at least show you weren't being negligent and that you had good reason to evaluate yourself as being safe to fly.

I'm working on my Sport ticket and using a DL medical. Even though there's no requirement for me to see an AME, before I started training I got a complete physical from my PCP including a complete set of labs, EKG, chest xray, etc. My self-assessment of fitness has a valid basis.

I've long advocated optionally waiving the Third-Class Medical for domestic operations in favor of a requirement that the airman simply see a doctor for a non-reportable physical examination once a year. No specific forms would be required, and the doctor wouldn't have to sign off on the airman's fitness. All that would be required would be a receipt from the doctor's office stating that the airman had received a physical examination. The receipt would be the medical. It would be a more informed form of self-certification.

I actually think the same requirement should apply for SP. Simply holding a driver's license proves only that the holder wasn't too blind or senile to find the DMV the last time his or her license renewal was due. I don't think that's adequate.

Rich

I actually think the same requirement should apply for SP. Simply holding a driver's license proves only that the holder wasn't too blind or senile to find the DMV the last time his or her license renewal was due. I don't think that's adequate.
Just having the ticket is not sufficient to keep flying under the current sport pilot rules. One still has to successfully complete a flight review every two years.

and if you're renting there may be a periodic mini-check out for insurance purposes. the FBO I rent from requires such a checkout every 6-mos.

Just having the ticket is not sufficient to keep flying under the current sport pilot rules. One still has to successfully complete a flight review every two years.

True. The BFR would screen out the worst of the unfit. But my thinking is that a simple physical might uncover conditions like diabetes or hypertension, whose symptoms are more subtle.

But then again, I haven't noticed too many SP's dropping from the skies lately.

Rich

Have you had any trouble meeting the medical requirements to hold a driver's license?

OP, I dont know you, but I have heard your story more times than I can count. I am going to take you at face value since you are owning up to some sensitive things that you dont have to. Based on what you are saying, I would be happy to share the skies with you! I think you have a decent shot at getting the Class III, are you willing to try and lose? I think if it were me, I would just go LSA. You are young and believe it or not, the FAA is loosening up on many of the draconian regs, it might be even easier in years to come. So many young people are caught in the trap of having to be diagnosed with "something" so some doc can get paid, mommy doesnt have to feel guilty and the schools have a zombie that wont disrupt class. Good luck to you.

Yep a ton of kids are going to have a add script on their record

This is the big thing that worries me - if I begin this process, &, somewhere along the way get deemed unworthy to fly by an AME or FAA psych, not only will I lost all the money I put towards it, I will also be grounded completely. You can always make more money, but reversing a decision like that by the FAA seems like a daunting task.

This is the big thing that worries me - if I begin this process, &, somewhere along the way get deemed unworthy to fly by an AME or FAA psych, not only will I lost all the money I put towards it, I will also be grounded completely. You can always make more money, but reversing a decision like that by the FAA seems like a daunting task.

This doesn't have to be an either/or decision. Get your Sport from a part H instructor now and later you can upgrade to Rec or Private. The training hours will count. Take your time getting all the medical stuff in order while you fly LSA for a year or so, then get the 3rd class and continue training.

This doesn't have to be an either/or decision. Get your Sport from a part H instructor now and later you can upgrade to Rec or Private. The training hours will count. Take your time getting all the medical stuff in order while you fly LSA for a year or so, then get the 3rd class and continue training.

But if I get my SPL, then, when applying for the third-class medical, admit to psychiatric disorders/substance use, wouldn't my SPL get revoked until I get "cleared" by the FAA?

But if I get my SPL, then, when applying for the third-class medical, admit to psychiatric disorders/substance use, wouldn't my SPL get revoked until I get "cleared" by the FAA?
Assuming there was no unusual situation such as violation that was sufficient to cause a revocation, your SPL would not be revoked, but under the regulations, if you applied for a medical certificate and it was denied, then you would be prohibited from using your SPL to act as pilot in command. (If your medical application is deferred, I'm not sure what happens while you're waiting for the decision.)

The other issue is whether your medical condition means that you know, or have reason to know, that it would make you "unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner" as described in 61.53(b) and (c). I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that that is determined by what the facts are, not by what you do or don't admit.

Last edited:

The point is to use the time while flying Sport to get the skids greased so that won't happen and your medical will go through quickly. You're going to need professional medical help (like Dr. Bruce) to figure out how to make it work. You'll probably need to visit a few docs, have some tests, and gather up lots of paperwork. It will take time and cost money.

But if you get a Sport ticket you can still fly while doing all this.

61.303 "(2) Have been found eligible for the issuance of at least a third-class airman medical certificate at the time of his or her most recent application (if the person has applied for a medical certificate);"
So if your medical application is deferred then it would appear that you can't act as PIC under the SP rules until the FAA gives you a pass.

Go LSA - in my opinion you have way too much going on to risk a medical. If the 3rd class goes away you could switch to a bigger plane.

61.303 "(2) Have been found eligible for the issuance of at least a third-class airman medical certificate at the time of his or her most recent application (if the person has applied for a medical certificate);"
So if your medical application is deferred then it would appear that you can't act as PIC under the SP rules until the FAA gives you a pass.
That does seem to follow from the wording. Thanks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back