Go Pro Video Editing Software

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
So I got a Go Pro right. I mean I didn't just go out and get one, it was given to me for Christmas. When I got it I felt a little bit like a mom opening a package containing a skate board.

I mean it's cool. I tried it out. I glued the mount-thingie to my motorcycle helmet and recorded a forty minute venture through suburban neighborhoods and a short stretch of freeway. I played it back. I was expecting Mladin. What I saw more resembled Hawking. It was long. And booooooring. I'm not above posting gratuitous photos of my Starbucks mocha on Facebook, but posting something like that would bring a new level of useless fluff garbage nobody wants to see or cares about.

That aside, if I could trim it down to a few minutes I might do so just out of spite. Except I can't figure out how to do it. The Go Pro software was apparently created by the same team that did Itunes. It's horridly non-intuitive. I watched a Youtube video. I read the online instructions. I still didn't get it. There are "mark in" and "mark out" buttons. They seem to highlight something but don't do anything else and what's in and out is anybody's guess and I still haven't figured out how to clear the highlights.

Are there any simple tutorials out there that can break this down? (Is there any better software out there? I don't feel like spending money. Not much anyway.)

So I got a Go Pro right. I mean I didn't just go out and get one, it was given to me for Christmas. When I got it I felt a little bit like a mom opening a package containing a skate board.

I mean it's cool. I tried it out. I glued the mount-thingie to my motorcycle helmet and recorded a forty minute venture through suburban neighborhoods and a short stretch of freeway. I played it back. I was expecting Mladin. What I saw more resembled Hawking. It was long. And booooooring. I'm not above posting gratuitous photos of my Starbucks mocha on Facebook, but posting something like that would bring a new level of useless fluff garbage nobody wants to see or cares about.

That aside, if I could trim it down to a few minutes I might do so just out of spite. Except I can't figure out how to do it. The Go Pro software was apparently created by the same team that did Itunes. It's horridly non-intuitive. I watched a Youtube video. I read the online instructions. I still didn't get it. There are "mark in" and "mark out" buttons. They seem to highlight something but don't do anything else and what's in and out is anybody's guess and I still haven't figured out how to clear the highlights.

Are there any simple tutorials out there that can break this down? (Is there any better software out there? I don't feel like spending money. Not much anyway.)

If you really want to make obnoxious videos, you can do what I do and add overlays using GPS data from your phone and Dashware (except, since mine are races, they are bit more than driving through a suburban neighborhood).

For example:

Eventually, I stopped doing the overlays because the rough track made the accelerometer go crazy in my phone.

I thought you could download their editing software from their site?

I agree on the boring video thing. Go to youtube and start just about any video 30 seconds (or sometimes a minute or more) in and you likely haven't missed a thing.

I haven't used gopro editing software in a while. it's just a matter of doing it a few times until you 'get it', then it becomes easy. now I use movie maker, also free and easy once you 'get it'. I guess that doesn't help you much, but I'd suggest making a few copies of your video and just keep working with the software until you get it.

and I agree, long videos of just 'stuff' is pretty boring. straight and level flying vids get boring real quick.

When you're shooting video, go into it with the idea that you'll be cutting out 90% of it. As for their editing software, it's pretty bare bones, but it does the job for simple projects.

iMovie on Mac or better yet, get a card reader adapter and import to iPad. That's the simplist editor I've found.

iMovie on Mac or better yet, get a card reader adapter and import to iPad. That's the simplist editor I've found.

Interesting. I'm primarily using a Windows computer but I have an Ipad and access to a Macbook Pro.

Interesting. I'm primarily using a Windows computer but I have an Ipad and access to a Macbook Pro.

I hate my Mac with a passion. But you won't find better free video software than iMovie - it is actually a really good package.

I hate my Mac with a passion. But you won't find better free video software than iMovie - it is actually a really good package.

... for free.

All sorts of better options if you're shelling out cash.

All kinds of options.

I used Shotcut pretty successfully, though it's not for novices.

Back