Go around today.

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
I made the mistake of over filling my main gear the other day, mainly so I could push the plane in and out of the hangar easier. I flew the wife and dog to Lake Charles this morning and let the mains hit a little too soon; the bounce up was fairly dramatic, so I gave it a little bit of throttle, prepared to settle it back down, but started using up a good bit of runway. I finally made the call to the tower that I was going around and would like closed traffic. I setup and landed without issue the second time.

I guess this was just a reminder to myself that even a seemingly minor change to normal routines can have some unintended consequences.

Sent from my mobile.

Beats heck out of pushing a failing position. Good call!

So you got to fly for .2 longer then you thought and probably made your wife happy. :)

It's similar with float pressure, a little too much (like +.5 PSI above normal 2.25 PSI) and it's like giant bouncing super-balls under a seaplane to land on, not even fun in any waves or especially the nasty, embedded wakes, with the wings just under MCA....

Last edited:
I had to do a go-around today too, but only because somebody cut me off. I was on short final and a guy starts pulling out onto the runway. Didn't matter than I was making radio calls and had been in the pattern. It was a busy day at that field with a dozen aircraft on the ramp and half a dozen with the engines running in the air or trying to get there, but it wasn't that crowded. On the positive side, it was invigorating to see so many folks getting out and flying.

I had to do a go-around today too, but only because somebody cut me off. I was on short final and a guy starts pulling out onto the runway. Didn't matter than I was making radio calls and had been in the pattern. It was a busy day at that field with a dozen aircraft on the ramp and half a dozen with the engines running in the air or trying to get there, but it wasn't that crowded. On the positive side, it was invigorating to see so many folks getting out and flying.
That's why we keep our eyes open -- because sometimes others don't. And, as always at nontowered airports, the other guy may not even have a radio with which to hear our calls.

Good call. Go arounds should be what you expect to do and then you get lucky and are able to land.

A couple of years ago I was on final and a pickup pulled onto the runway trying to get from one side to the other. It was my first landing at that airport so I choice to go around. On the ground everyone said, "That happens all the time here, they will get out of your way." Like I'm suppose to know that on final? :mad2:

I'll add that the guy made a radio call that he was departing and only stopped because someone else came on the radio calling his name specifically and said "hey xxxxx, you've got one coming in." There were 3 planes in line and I imagined it was his buddy in the RV behind him. It didn't matter, I heard his radio call and he started moving, so I started the go-around. Then I made a go-around call. Aviate-navigate-communicate. It wasn't the first time and won't be the last. I still prefer uncontrolled fields, though.

Back