GNS530w & TFRs

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I have a 496 in my Cessna 172 with XM weather. It shows TFRs as yellow circles (inactive) or red (active).

I just got my NEW GNS 530w (I took delivery the day after the GTN750 was announced :incazzato:). It does not display TFRs. It is not a big deal. I sort of like having both the 530 and 496 and being able to display different information on each, but what would I need to get TFRs to display on the 530?

By the way, (l am going to sound like a proud papa) while it was in the shop, I also got a new garmin 340 audio panel, a new Garmin transponder, a new JPI FS450 fuel monitor to go next to the EDM 700 and a new digital tach. Since I already had more $$$ in this plane than I will ever be able to sell it for (including a recently replaced O360), I figured I will be keeping it for a long time so I splurged. But I had to hold short of the MFD/PFD.

For those that remember my high CHT problem, that seems to be stabilizing at around 85 hrs, but my oil usage seems a little high. I use around 2 or 3 qts between 25 hour oil changes. I am still hoping that will drop, but not really expecting much improvement there. Sorry if I am rambling.

What you would need is a Garmin GDL-69 XM data link receiver. Roughly $5K installed plus at least $35/month XM weather subscription (depending on level of service chosen, but the lowest includes TFR's).

I'm not sure if the GDL-90 ADS-B data link unit provides TFR coverage or not, but it will only work where there's ADS-B coverage, and it costs a lot more (although the service is free once you get the unit).

Personally, I use my handheld Garmin Aera 510 for my weather/TFR data -- much cheaper, and portable so I can take it in clients' planes. If I were in your boots (530w + 496), I wouldn't bother with the GDL-69 -- just use the 496 for that purpose.

Hi John,

This is Mike from NJ, I'm here in Ormond Beach and have been to XFL many times during my time here as my friend works for Fireflight. Was wondering when you are at the airport, as I would like to stop by and ask a few questions. Give me a call 908-507-9452.

Thanks,
Mike G

Back