Globalstar Spot?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
I watched a really informative video about 1800wxbrief and how to use all the features (see here:
).

At the end he talked about the Globalstar Spot for GPS position in case you crash somewhere...seemed like a really good thing to have (ELTs don't always work according to the video so this is a good backup).

What are your guys' thoughts on this? Looks like they are about $150

A lot of folks are ragging on globalstar devices. In my use, the gen2 spot was very reliable. Others report terrible performance in mountainous areas. I wish lockmart supported other platforms like delorme inreach or spidertracks.

My spot updated every 10min. Traveling at 175kts that still leaves a search area 60 miles long.

The full length reports on both the New Mexico and Maryland state police helicopter crashes had discussions on the pitfalls of breadcrumb trackers. Good read if you are interested.

Oh, and SPOT is run like the mafia. You are in, it's hard to get out. There is a three day window every year when they accept a cancellation. You call to early (like when you realize they helped themselves to another $150 of your dollars), they won't accept a cancellation for the next year. You also can"t remove your credit card from the account. The only way to ditch them through nonpayment is by putting a gift-visa card in and deplete the account.

Get a PLB and strap it to your body.

InReach is a more reliable option if you decide to go with a satellite communicator. It's also a bit more expensive.

As someone else mentioned, PLBs are another good option. They are probably the best from a SAR perspective and definitely the cheapest. I carry one. But I'm also willing to pay for an InReach for the extra capabilities therein.

Back