Gliders -- Where to find them?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Is there a central organization for glider schools and operations? Something that would allow me to find one in my area?

I know of one on the opposite side of DFW from me. But would like to find something a bit closer and not have the DFW metromess between us.

And others might appreciate knowing how to find a glider operation nearby.

TSA In Midlothian would be one of the nicest clubs in the country. Decatur would be much closer though.

TSA is the one I was thinking I'd like to use, *IF* the metromess and long drive wasn't in the way.

Figure, you're gonna be at the club most of the day anyway. That club is one of the nicest facilities in the country. Their fleet rivals a good European club (no dumpy 2-33s or 2-22s).

https://tsa.wildapricot.org/about

• Three ASK-21 two-place gliders
  • One Duo Discus two-place glider
  • Three PW-5 single-place gliders
  • Two 1-26 single-place gliders
  • Three Piper Pawnee tow planes

Caddo Mills

As an aside I've always wondered about the tow pilots having to pay for the privilege of towing a glider. That would be like me charging my jump pilot to fly me to altitude.

Ah, bummer. I know they still jump there. That maybe the glider side was still operational

Mike, just jaunt down to JWY and talk to Carol. Big Q Aviation. All your glider wishes will be granted. Just a heads up, they're very busy and it's sometimes...challenging to schedule a glider flight.

Or call Savannah (two one four) three nine nine-nine one one nine. She does the scheduling and what not...

Question was for both myself and a family with an 11-year old who approached me for a young eagle flight. The kid was already reading every bit of aviation stuff he can find and was over the moon when I gave him an old sectional and showed him how to read some of it. I think gliders would be a good way to fuel his passion until he is old enough to do powered flight.

We start kids at about 12 1/2 to 13. They can solo as soon after their 14th birthday that they can get their student pilot certificate under the new Homeland Security system.

Mike, I'm told Carol's looking for another tailwheel pilot, might be a good way to exchange flight hours...

I would also like to get into Gliders this year. Does anyone know what the height/weight limit is? I am 6ft 4in and 240. Not sure if I fit the size limits for gliders but would sure like to get into it if I do.

I would also like to get into Gliders this year. Does anyone know what the height/weight limit is? I am 6ft 4in and 240. Not sure if I fit the size limits for gliders but would sure like to get into it if I do.

Many modern European gliders have per-seat weight limits of 100 kilos, and some 110 kilos (220 lbs and 242 lbs). Some clubs require or encourage parachute use, so subtract 15 lbs or 7 kilos or so, from the max. (205 lbs and 227 lbs.)

So (like me!) you may need to drop a few pounds if your club needs you wearing a chute. (Gosh, what happened to that skinny kid who has glider time in his logbook? Grin...)

Can't really speak to the height issue, but many club sites say 6' 4" is the upper limit. I'm sure it depends on the ship.

I don't think you'll have any issue. I'm 6'2" and 200. I fit in a Grob103 just fine, actually they are kinda "roomy".

I've got nothing you can fit in.
6-4 is tall for a Schweizer 2-33 trainer. Weight limit, your instructor would have to weigh about 130 lbs. You would fit in a Grob 103 or ASK 21 for height (barely). But most European built gliders have a per seat limit of 110kg (242 lbs). Our Grob 103 max useful load is 400 lbs, which means your instructor needs to be under 160 lbs.

Look for someone training with a Schweizer 2-32, higher weight limits.

Second for calling Carol. It's a good operation down there and Carol is typically eager to bring kids into the world of aviation. I take mine out there all the time (11, 8 and 7). They're always welcomed and pulled into whatever is going on.

Back