Glider rating

dennyleeb

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
7DeltaBravo
So I am thinking of doing some glider training. I know several on here are addicted to it. My main reason right now is to increase my skill set not really to fly gliders as another hobby. Can anyone recommend a good school to go to? I live in kentucky. Would like to be within a 4 hr flight to a school. (182)

Flying gliders to add to your skills is a great idea.
What I find teaching power pilots to fly gliders is:
They have no idea what real adverse yaw and rudder control really means.
They fly flat approaches, and risk landing short.
They really do not understand the effects of headwind on final when planning the traffic pattern, and risk landing short.
Pitch controls airspeed, not the power lever.
Lack of airspeed control on final.
Raising the nose to stretch a glide to avoid landing short, when they really should be pushing to accelerate for penetration into a headwind or to exit strong sink on final.
Headwinds or strong sink on final, a reason to avoid low flat slow approaches.
Flying on tow is just formation flying.

But really, try gliders, improve your skills, and you just may get hooked!!

sportys only has this to train in

Diamond Katana Xtreme HK 36

is it even really a glider?

I think the HK36 is registered as a glider, the self launch kind. You need a glider rating to fly it. But its not really a great glider.

I think the HK36 is registered as a glider, the self launch kind. You need a glider rating to fly it. But its not really a great glider.

I'd avoid Sporty's for glider training unless you just want to add a self launch endorsement to your log book. Even then, I think they're overpriced.

kinda what i thought

if you are close to Chilhowee I would highly recommend going there for your add on. Leah and I will be there for the vintage rally over memorial day weekend. Pete too, I think.

If you're really after the skill set, not going to fly gliders a lot, then I'd suggest find a good glider pilot (preferably a CFI-G) with a tandem glider and fly a few hours with them. In other words, it may not be necessary to limit yourself to a school. Also, since you'll be looking at skills that transfer to a power airplane, you probably don't need a lot of time on tow, including boxing the wake and low release (although that one is good for getting you to visualize emergencies) so you could go in a self-launch or motor glider. I'm not saying this to discourage you from getting a glider rating but rather to expand your search horizon for what you say is your primary objective. In other words, you may want to clearly express your objectives to whomever you decide to seek training with so they don't think you are a club recruit. In this vein, many glider clubs require membership of some kind (sometimes a temporary or short term membership) so finding someone to get a couple of hours of flight time with may save that cost.
If you look on the SSA web site, there is a place that shows clubs around the country.

if you are close to Chilhowee I would highly recommend going there for your add on. Leah and I will be there for the vintage rally over memorial day weekend. Pete too, I think.

Yeah it is pretty close for me. What is the closet airport that is not grass?

from looking at the sectional McMinn County would probably be the most convenient paved runway.

So I am thinking of doing some glider training. I know several on here are addicted to it.

Dont do it... You will get addicted...:goofy:

I started out in Sailplanes in the 90's but gave it up due to my closest gliderport eing 1.5hrs away. I switched to Hangliders since it was more closer to home. Last year I started taking power lessons and having the sailplane background has helped imensly. My goal is to get my PPL and then fly to the gliderport to get back to soaring.

You will definately learn what adverse yaw is like on something with long wings. Also it will make you a much better pilot in emergency situations. You will also have a better understanding of weather as well as be more aware of your suroundings.

It is a heck of a lot of fun and the camraderie between pilots is great. You should look for a club to join and train through them. If you can find a place with a winch, that would be great too since your price to train would be cheaper and chances are youd learn both winch and Airtow...

Have fun...

Marc

Flying gliders to add to your skills is a great idea.
What I find teaching power pilots to fly gliders is:
They have no idea what real adverse yaw and rudder control really means.
They fly flat approaches, and risk landing short.
They really do not understand the effects of headwind on final when planning the traffic pattern, and risk landing short.
Pitch controls airspeed, not the power lever.
Lack of airspeed control on final.
Raising the nose to stretch a glide to avoid landing short, when they really should be pushing to accelerate for penetration into a headwind or to exit strong sink on final.
Headwinds or strong sink on final, a reason to avoid low flat slow approaches.
Flying on tow is just formation flying.

But really, try gliders, improve your skills, and you just may get hooked!!
I was reading this and thought its a good checklist - I read each line and thought "Done that".
Maybe other then raising nose to stretch the glide.

I might go up there and check that out. i have a friend that tows up there.

What's the runway like at Chilhowee. Can you get a Mooney in and out of there? Would the owners agree to such a thing?

Don't know about the Mooney, but have seen lots of cubs, luscombs, etc in and out. Just give Sarah a call. She's always there.

You may find it hard to walk away or cut back after getting the rating, but its not a bad thing. You can potentially get a lot of bang for your buck out of soaring.
I believe that you CAN hone all the skills mentioned above with most power planes, but you MUST hone them to do well with gliders. And soaring yields rewards you just dont get with power. If I had the time and means to try it all- multis , rotorcraft, instrument flight- I would still get a special kick out of soaring.

Don't know about the Mooney, but have seen lots of cubs, luscombs, etc in and out. Just give Sarah a call. She's always there.

Well she isn't there this week because she's flying at the Region 5 North contest in Perry, SC.

I have no idea what the runway condition is Lance.

If you get a chance to fly with Tony, do so. He finished me off for my CFI-G and is a very good instructor and a very good stick.

Back