Glider Fun

vontresc

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
vonSegelGoober
Today the weather gods were smiling on us in Wisconsin. After a couple of pretty crappy days (snowed just north of Green bay Friday night), we got a really good day. Bases were at 7200' MSL, and lift was in the 5-7 kt range. Unfortunately it was also rather cold, and my feet ended up pretty frozen. Ended up having a nice three hour flight.

Here is the flight trace http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId=2140492521

And some pictures.

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1167.JPG

IMG_1168.JPG

I JUST logged off of the SSA site...once I get to 242 lbs...I am going gliding...I am at 250...down from 294...

Cool pictures!

I JUST logged off of the SSA site...once I get to 242 lbs...I am going gliding...I am at 250...down from 294...

Cool pictures!

Good job.

Don'tcha love how life long skinny people tell you it is easy lose weight?

Good job Kevin!!! How long has that taken you?

Pete... wow, fantastic. Tell me more about the microphone / muff...

Nothing beats having a goal to inspire discipline, and soaring is a great goal!
It gets better, too: soaring is called a "sport" for good reason. It's a great low-impact workout.

Good job Kevin!!! How long has that taken you?

It's just a boom mike. I have a little speaker behind my right ear for the radio in my panel. It's quite nice not to have to wear a headset.

Nothing beats having a goal to inspire discipline, and soaring is a great goal!
It gets better, too: soaring is called a "sport" for good reason. It's a great low-impact workout.

Congragulation on the weight loss Kelvin, I know its a lot of work and takes a lot of discipline. Soaring is a great goal for this. One of our local pilots keeps his diabete's in check with excercise and diet I think mostly because he doesn't want to lose his ability to soar.

I will second the low impact work out, I lost 4 lbs this weeks with the 8 hrs of flying. I think it equates to about 8 hrs of walking. When I do my two week soaring safari in August I typically lose between 8 and 12 lbs.

Brian

I will second the low impact work out, I lost 4 lbs this weeks with the 8 hrs of flying. I think it equates to about 8 hrs of walking. When I do my two week soaring safari in August I typically lose between 8 and 12 lbs.

Brian
I don't know about the rest of you, but our flights actually include a bit of actual walking... more so, now that we land farther down (when landing to the west) since the PAPI was installed. Pilot always winds up walking back to the staging area as we tow the glider back... not quite 2000 feet, but it adds up.

Good job Kelvin!!! How long has that taken you?

I started in October at 294. Really it is moderate daily exercise and a complete diet and intake makeover. After about two months, eating less became a reflex...

I don't know about the rest of you, but our flights actually include a bit of actual walking... more so, now that we land farther down (when landing to the west) since the PAPI was installed. Pilot always winds up walking back to the staging area as we tow the glider back... not quite 2000 feet, but it adds up.

Our operation doesn't have that much walking. We assemble the gliders at the end of the runway and only have to push them maybe 150 feet max to stage. We typically land and stop within 150 feet of the staging area as well. After launching two or three gliders it does add up and it certainly is more active that watching TV, more fun too.

I find I usually eat less on days that I fly, I am too busy to eat. Although if I am flying for several days in a row like a contest or safari I will often take something to munch on during the flight. I usually drink about 2 quarts of water during a 4 hour flight. I do have a relief system installed in the glider.

I have another pet theory as well, since I have started using my oximeter I notice that anytime I go up in altitude my heart rate increases to make up for the reduced oxygen(yes I know it really reduced pressure). Interesting I find that within reason my O2 saturation doesn't fluxuate much but my heart rate does, This explains why the O2 helps with fatigue.
I suspect that several hours at higher altitude raises the heart rate similar to if I were walking and obviously uses more energy. I suspect this is often why I am tired after a long flight.

This is even more confirmed by the one flight I did where my oxygen system failed. I flew between 11,000 and 14,000 feet for about 1.5 hrs before I figured out I had a broken oxygen line. I was able to fix it in flight and go to maximum O2. However I terminated the flight and flew directly back to the airport. It took me about an hour to glide back to the airport. Afterward a 2+ hr nap was in order. It was after this flight I purchased the oximeter.

Brian

Back