Glider air-to-air freq?

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
I'll be flying my wife in the R44 to the vicinity of the Delaware Water Gap and then southwest following the ridge down to Hamburg, PA.

I know there is glider activity there and am trying to figure out if there's an air-to-air frequency I should be monitoring and reporting on. I will be near the top of the ridge which is where gliders may be.

Here's from the AIM. I think I've seen freqs listed with the glider symbol on charts.

[SIZE=-2]TBL 4-1-3[/SIZE]

Other Frequency Usage Designated by FCC
Use

Frequency
Air-to-air communications & private airports (not open to the public).

122.850​

Air-to-air communications (general aviation helicopters).
Aviation instruction, Glider, Hot Air Balloon (not to be used for advisory service).

123.500​

Bob: I assume you are talking about the gliders out of Blairstown. Why don't you call the glider school or club up there and find out what freq they use. I think Gary Shelby may have the contact info.

it is very common for us glider yahoos to use 123.3 for non CTAF communication.

Gliders? Get an engine!

ha anthony, thats the same thing i say when i see those grummans take off, seems a lot like trying to get airborne in a glider without a towplane! :):):)

AdamZ said:
Bob: I assume you are talking about the gliders out of Blairstown. Why don't you call the glider school or club up there and find out what freq they use. I think Gary Shelby may have the contact info.
Actually, I did that Adam. The answer was that those gliders with radio stay on Blairstown CTAF.

It turned out to be moot, anyway -- we didn't encounter any gliders. Great ride though -- I'll post about it :D

tonycondon said:
ha anthony, thats the same thing i say when i see those grummans take off, seems a lot like trying to get airborne in a glider without a towplane! :):):)

My Tiger does fine out of Leadville, CO. Field elevation 9,927 FT. ;)

Anthony said:
My Tiger does fine out of Leadville, CO. Field elevation 9,927 FT. ;)

Yah, but, Anthony, you don't have to takeoff at Leadville--every thing is downhill from the airport. Just fly straight off the end of the runway! :p I think a glider could do it if you gave it a good push.:dunno:

Barb

Back