Glaucoma - first class medical?

U

Unregistered

My family has a history of glaucoma and I'm concerned about a diagnosis for myself someday. Is glaucoma, whether it be treated or not, an automatic disqualifier for a first class medical certificate? I'm unable to find a definite answer.

You don't want to have untreated glaucoma. Hopefully you are getting regular screens if you are at risk, not just pressure readings, but visual fields, optic nerve inspections, GDx, etc...

If you actually do have glaucoma, it's a special issuance. As long as your visual fields are normal and you have the necessary acuity to qualify for the level of medical you are seeking, I believe you can get issued. The FAA only takes the Humphrey Visual Fields test (this is a test that many opthamologists have, essentially you stick your head in this machine and it presents flashing lights at various positions that you indicate you saw by clicking a button, while it also tracks your gaze to make sure you're still looking at the center of the target).
In most cases the AME can do an AASI right during your exam.

Use of certain drugs (eye drops, etc...) can be used without necessarily being disqualifying.

Dr. Bruce will be along with the official answer.

The FAA's guidance on glaucoma while re-issuing (i.e., you have a current medical and you're renewing it) is found here. There is no stated limit on class of medical, so it appears if you already have a First Class, and you fit the parameters in that guidance, you should be able to continue holding a First Class medical after a diagnosis of glaucoma.

My family has a history of glaucoma and I'm concerned about a diagnosis for myself someday. Is glaucoma, whether it be treated or not, an automatic disqualifier for a first class medical certificate? I'm unable to find a definite answer.
NOTARUM BENE!

It's not an impediment as long as you intervene BEFORE you lose any vision, and it's very subtle. When you lose a tiny arcuate segment of high resolution vision, the other eye substitutes for it and you are never aware.

I see too many pilots who have visual field losses and whose first indication is " I can't see 20/20 out of that eye any longer. I just need better glasses"

"Nope. You need better healthcare. And now it's too late."

The vision standard is 20/20 in each eye separately.

Last edited:
So I think what you're saying, Bruce, is that knowing this family history, the OP should be getting a full eye eval from an eye doc every year to detect any change early, not just the usual vision testing you get from an AME which doesn't include glaucoma or full visual field testing.

So I think what you're saying, Bruce, is that knowing this family history, the OP should be getting a full eye eval from an eye doc every year to detect any change early, not just the usual vision testing you get from an AME which doesn't include glaucoma or full visual field testing.

I think (music doc that I am) that getting a full examination from an -ophthalmologist- every year is money well-spent--for everyone.

I think (music doc that I am) that getting a full examination from an -ophthalmologist- every year is money well-spent--for everyone.
I should think that a doctor of optometry is sufficient for that, especially since the FAA accepts eye evals from them. It's only when the O.D. finds something needing major treatment (like eye surgery) that the M.D. is necessary.

I'd go to the opthalmologist. When you finally get tot he brink, that's not a good time to change caretakers....

An OD is likely not to have much more than a slit lamp and tonameter which while is a handy screen is NOT the limit to what you want when you think there may be glaucoma present. I see one of the ophthamologic surgeons in the area that specializes in glaucom (although amusingly he is now more known for his LASIK commercials). As Dr. Bruce points out, there are some rather easy tests periodically executed that will find out when and if more serious intervention is necessary to maintain vision.

Not to hijack the thread, but I've never bothered with optometrists for my family, when our insurance covers ophthalmologist visits for routine eye care.

Not to hijack the thread, but I've never bothered with optometrists for my family, when our insurance covers ophthalmologist visits for routine eye care.
Now I know why my health insurance is so expensive. Do you also go to an oncologist for prostate screening?

Thanks everyone for the good information. I have not been diagnosed with Glaucoma, but being young and it being in the family, I wanted to keep an eye on it (no pun intended). I was concerned that It would be impossible for me to get a first class medical. If that was the case, I was not going to plan on getting my Commercial ticket.

Now I know why my health insurance is so expensive. Do you also go to an oncologist for prostate screening?
Ron there are very serious capability differences between optometrists and opthalmologists and the standard to which they are held is different.

As usual in life, you get for which you pay, never more. Survival is expensive.

Hello...I have glaucoma now and am being treated regularly by my Othomologist through eye pressure reduction drops daily, and visual field tests regularly. I wanted to say that everyone's comments here have helped me a lot. I expire to receive my Private and Commercial Helicopter's license someday and wanted to know if I shouldn't continue pursuing if I couldn't get a 1st class medical due to my glaucoma. Thanks again. I'll continue!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back