Glasses in between medical exams

mulligan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mulligan
If you have a current medical with no vision correction required and you go to the eye doctor to get glasses to correct to 20/20 vision, do you need to report that or can you just wait until your next medical?

You don't have to report it, but you need to wear your classes if you can't see to the standards of your medical without them (20/40 is all that class III requires by the way).

You don't have to report it, but you need to wear your classes if you can't see to the standards of your medical without them (20/40 is all that class III requires by the way).

Thank you! I thought that might be the case but wanted to make sure. Paid a lot of money for the privilege to fly so don't want to lose that!

What Ron said. Your next medical will just have the "must wear corrective lenses" limitation on it.

That's what I did,,.... just reported needing glasses on the next medical... Except that there was 20 years between medicals!.. Sure good to be back flying again.

Your next medical exam will include the standard vision test. If you pass it without glasses there will be no corrective lens requirement. If you need glasses to pass it you will have a note like "near vision correction must be available" for piloting. I've worn glasses for years and have had the correction requirement come and go with different exams.

Your next medical exam will include the standard vision test. If you pass it without glasses there will be no corrective lens requirement. If you need glasses to pass it you will have a note like "near vision correction must be available" for piloting. I've worn glasses for years and have had the correction requirement come and go with different exams.

My eyesight is not different today then when I passed the medical last year but I'm tired of squinting. So I figured I would just get glasses. I'm pretty sure I can pass 20/40 with a little squinting and have no problem seeing anything in the plane near or far so your post comes as good news. We will just wait and see.

Full disclosure....mine now reads "must have corrective lens"

but....for a few cycles prior I was still able to read the charts. :D

I could pass the test when the AME used eye charts (even my own optho uses a projected eye chart which I can handle). For some reason I can't pass 20/40 with a doctor that uses one of those machines you look into like you're watching an old time movie. Something about the contrast I suspect.

Anyhow, I've always worn glasses when I flew, even when I didn't have the restriction.

It works the same way in the other direction, BTW...

I had lasik done about ten years ago. Reported the surgery at my next faa physical. No longer had a "corrective lens" restriction.

Note: I self grounded until my lasik doc signed a "he's good to fly" release.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back