Glass/plastic Cleaner

flav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
David
I've been using Plexus glass/plastic cleaner for years with great results but at almost $20 per 13oz spray can it's a bit on the expensive side.

Has anyone had any positive experiences with other brands of glass/plastic cleaners for your aircraft?

It needs to be non-staining and safe on painted surfaces and have a pleasant or no smell as well since it will be used on the inside of the aircraft as well.

Peruse some automotive forums and you'll find a cheaper alternate. But realistically, it is aviation, dude. Ain't nuthin' cheap, here. Fuel, oil, cleaners, light bulbs, engines, you name it. About the best you can hope for is to get a can with whatever other supplies you order so you save on shipping.

I wouldn't use plastic cleaner on painted surfaces. I get appropriate cleaners for each different surface. See Aero Cosmetics' site for a full line of reasonably priced aircraft cleaning products.
http://washwax.com/

I have always had good results with a fiber cloth towel and spray wax.

I wouldn't use plastic cleaner on painted surfaces. I get appropriate cleaners for each different surface. See Aero Cosmetics' site for a full line of reasonably priced aircraft cleaning products.
http://washwax.com/

He might just be concerned with overspray.

I used to use Pledge, but it leaves a residue. It's really designed for wood, not metal or plexi.

Light spray with the pledge, wipe once with one side of microfiber, then turn around and follow up with other side of microfiber. If you dont mix up the wet/dry side of microfiber you wont end up with any residue.

Everything I have read or seen suggests clear water. I bought a plex cleaning kit from Sportys and now the windscreen is all fudged up.

Lemon Pledge.

A true value when the least expensive is by far the best.

Last edited:
I've been using Plexus glass/plastic cleaner for years with great results but at almost $20 per 13oz spray can it's a bit on the expensive side.

Has anyone had any positive experiences with other brands of glass/plastic cleaners for your aircraft?

It needs to be non-staining and safe on painted surfaces and have a pleasant or no smell as well since it will be used on the inside of the aircraft as well.
I've been using this stuff for years
http://www.skygeek.com/sp-pl16.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_content=sp-pl16&utm_campaign=froogle&gclid=COntkejrrrYCFcqd4AodhysAsg
I get it from Aircraft Spruce, I know they still carry it, but I can't get it to come up in their new search, anyway....

It's still $20 but a bottle lasts a few years. I like the smell. I don't use it on painted surfaces. But most of all I like the results.

I wet the surface without rubbing. Let the bug smashes get hydrated a bit. Shake it well then squirt a small amount on and rub and polish to my hearts content. It will clean off the grease on the inside and the bugs on the outside, it seems to have a polishing abrasive and it seems to leave a plexiglass friendly residue that seems to smooth the surface. The more you rub, the better things look. No danger of fogging the surface or anything.

I've been using it on 4 different aircraft over 20 years. It doesn't like to be exposed to freezing temps but it's still useable.

I've been using this stuff for years
http://www.skygeek.com/sp-pl16.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_content=sp-pl16&utm_campaign=froogle&gclid=COntkejrrrYCFcqd4AodhysAsg
I get it from Aircraft Spruce, I know they still carry it, but I can't get it to come up in their new search, anyway....

It's still $20 but a bottle lasts a few years. I like the smell. I don't use it on painted surfaces. But most of all I like the results.

I wet the surface without rubbing. Let the bug smashes get hydrated a bit. Shake it well then squirt a small amount on and rub and polish to my hearts content. It will clean off the grease on the inside and the bugs on the outside, it seems to have a polishing abrasive and it seems to leave a plexiglass friendly residue that seems to smooth the surface. The more you rub, the better things look. No danger of fogging the surface or anything.

I've been using it on 4 different aircraft over 20 years. It doesn't like to be exposed to freezing temps but it's still useable.

This is good stuff, we have a bottle we use on heavily soiled windows

Lemon Pledge. It's also the best leather cleaner. I use it on windshield as well.

Wayne,

Do you wash down with water first then use the pledge or use the pledge for the whole process?

I always use the spray wax after a degrease/water and soap wash...you cant beat a old fashioned scrub...and some good clean water.

I cover the windshield with a soft cloth in the hangar and with a cabin cover on the road, so it's usually pretty clean with only bugs to wash off after landing. So I spray the entire surface lightly and then give the bug remains a more vigorous squirt. With micro-cloth it all cleans easily as described in other posts.

Wayne,

Do you wash down with water first then use the pledge or use the pledge for the whole process?

He might just be concerned with overspray.
You are absolutely correct, I'm in need of a cleaner that won't damage anything that might get a little over-spray on it, especially on the inside.

As for everyone that has been suggesting Pledge, I'm starting to have flashbacks of the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".:rofl::rofl::rofl:
If you didn't see the movie I'll explain, they used Windex for everything imaginable.:eek:

Did I mention you can get Lemon Pledge at the grocery store? :D

And Costco.

By the pallet, enough Lemon Pledge to coat everything within line of sight - forever.

hstltd-pedestrian-operated-pallet-trucks.jpg

Back