glass display on stormscope is scratched. replace inexpensively?

rbridges

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rbridges
my plane came with a wx-1000, and the lens is scratched (?). I think it is glass, and I'm wondering if there is a coating that is damaged. I was wondering if this can be polished out? I'm afraid to try anything since I didn't cause the original damage and don't know if polishing may make it worse. Sorry for the crappy camera pics, but the white patch in lower left is the problem area.

I may just live with it since sending to L3 may cost more than buying a whole new display off ebay.

Attachments

• stormscope.jpg
    stormscope.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
If you find that the actual face is scratched. Remove the face - it may be glass, plastic or acrylic - and I'll fix it for you. Won't cost you anything.
I'm actually trying this new process out for your exact problem, so you'll be my test monkey. :)

Just PM me, and I'll send you my mailing address. It'll take me a day to get it done and 2 days shipping time.

Mr. Bridges, lottery winner!

So, Shane, working on any particular process to bring a dead GNS 155 TSO back to life? :redface:

Mr. Bridges, lottery winner!

So, Shane, working on any particular process to bring a dead GNS 155 TSO back to life? :redface:

If you're talking about the screen on that one...eeeh I don't know about that. Most of those old crystal displays get the little cells crushed or blown out over time, just the nature of being outside. Most of the time it requires an entire screen replacement, and I think you need some certifications for that type of install.

If you're talking about the screen on that one...eeeh I don't know about that. Most of those old crystal displays get the little cells crushed or blown out over time, just the nature of being outside. Most of the time it requires an entire screen replacement, and I think you need some certifications for that type of install.

Yeah, it is too old to fix in a proper manner, so we are just going to go ahead and move from 19th century technology to 20th century technology and do a Garmin 430W upgrade. (Anyone moving to 21st century technology and want to get rid of their 430W quickly?)

Does the scratch effect the operation and viewability of the unit or is it just an annoyance?

my plane came with a wx-1000, and the lens is scratched (?). I think it is glass, and I'm wondering if there is a coating that is damaged. I was wondering if this can be polished out? I'm afraid to try anything since I didn't cause the original damage and don't know if polishing may make it worse. Sorry for the crappy camera pics, but the white patch in lower left is the problem area.

I may just live with it since sending to L3 may cost more than buying a whole new display off ebay.

I would call L3 first and see what they advise. If that don't work, call some radio shops, I was able to replace my WX 900 unit for $100.

Does the scratch effect the operation and viewability of the unit or is it just an annoyance?

99% annoyance. When it's powered on, it's still fairly legible. If I can fix it simply ($$), I want to pursue the repair. Any major expense, and I'll live with the scratches.

Back