Glass cockpit?

NJP_MAN

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
Why are digital flight instruments referred to as "glass cockpits" ? The glass itself is not what makes the instruments any different. I am not very smart but I do know that my attitude indicator, airspeed indicator, DG and every other instrument have glass on them. Does this mean that I have a "glass cockpit".

Here is my glass cockpit
IMAG0075_zpsa9e02804.jpg

it's not glass because of the iPad.

So I ask why not call them "Digital cockpits"? /rant

It's not glass because the primary instrument reference is old school gyro.

LOL. Glass refers to LCD screens.

It's not glass because the primary instrument reference is old school gyro.

Does it not have any glass on the instruments? I just think calling a G1000 "glass" sounds like its only different because of the glass itself. Not to mention AHRS or anything else

Works for me, but you may take a little longer explains when other pilots who have not read your post look at you quizzically when you say it that way. :confused::confused:

Maybe find a better subject to rant about, :rofl:

So when you use the IPad in the cockpit due we call that glass charts?

I'm just enjoying some football games this wonderful sunday in my glass livingroom.

Last edited:
Off topic but I like your caged switch for the avionics master. I'd love to get one of those for the standby battery on the G1000 GLASS cockpit. :p

Off topic but I like your caged switch for the avionics master. I'd love to get one of those for the standby battery on the G1000 GLASS cockpit. :p

Actually it drives me crazy. I understand the cage on the starter button, but a PO also put one on avionics. I just don't see the logic and it looks out of place with it unguarded (in the up position). I guess if I had a "glass cockpit" I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Good grief. People use the terms "glass cockpit" and "steam gauges" because the phrases have meaning beyond the literal definition of the words.

Why do they call it the Tea Party, when there's no tea and no party? Why do they call it a touchdown even if nobody gets touched?

You're going to be busy for a while if you decide to continue ranting about all the non-literal uses of English words.

Good grief. People use the terms "glass cockpit" and "steam gauges" because the phrases have meaning beyond the literal definition of the words.

Why do they call it the Tea Party, when there's no tea and no party? Why do they call it a touchdown even if nobody gets touched?

You're going to be busy for a while if you decide to continue ranting about all the non-literal uses of English words.

There certainly is nothing wrong with questioning the way we do or say things. We have come to be who we are because someone sought to make things better than the way they were before. I may be alone, but if I can find a way to improve myself by learning, observing, listening, asking questions or any other method I will do so. Perhaps it is because I am not a old timer, but I don't always just accept things as the way they are just because that's how they are.

As a side note, I don't say steam gauges unless my O-320 has a boiler to warm water and drive the instruments. I prefer to call them "round dials" because they are definitely round.

There certainly is nothing wrong with questioning the way we do or say things. We have come to be who we are because someone sought to make things better than the way they were before. I may be alone, but if I can find a way to improve myself by learning, observing, listening, asking questions or any other method I will do so. Perhaps it is because I am not a old timer, but I don't always just accept things as the way they are just because that's how they are.

As a side note, I don't say steam gauges unless my O-320 has a boiler to warm water and drive the instruments. I prefer to call them "round dials" because they are definitely round.

Maybe you should get in touch with Steve (roncachamp) of this board. You two prolly have a lot in common...and Steve may have a lot of time on his hands these days.

Maybe you should get in touch with Steve (roncachamp) of this board. You two prolly have a lot in common...and Steve may have a lot of time on his hands these days.

I'm just trying to stimulate thought that's all. I'm not aware of who Steve is, but he certainly sounds like a class act.

Back