Glasair II-S FT performance

xcswift

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
xcswift
I am looking for takeoff and landing performance chart for a Glasair II-S FT 180HP. I am trying to figure whether this aircraft can make in and out of a 2000ft grass runway

I am looking for takeoff and landing performance chart for a Glasair II-S FT 180HP. I am trying to figure whether this aircraft can make in and out of a 2000ft grass runway

Look for Glasair owners forums. Doubt your idea, but just guessing.

From what I gained when I looked into Glasairs, the answer is no. To be fair, I was inquiring about the RG and not the fixed gear, but I think they are similar enough to say again, no. The pilots I communicated with told me that they were not comfortable on runways under 4,000 ft but could do it if they had to. 2,000 ft would be right out. I've never heard of anyone using them on grass strips.

Everybody really wants a plane that can operate out of a 2,000 ft grass strip and then cruise at 180kts, but sadly it largely does not exist in GA. If you must operate out of that strip, you will be cruising a lot slower.

Actually certain models of RV might do what you want. Check them out.

Actually certain models of RV might do what you want. Check them out.

Yes. I believe Vans can be operated off grass strips and I think 2000ft is with in their envelope. They just won't cruise near as fast. Probably a good compromise though.

They just won't cruise near as fast. Probably a good compromise though.

★Don't let an RV guy hear you suggest that! They're worse than fishermen....:yes:

A F1 RV would be close.

015.jpg

Stoddard Hamilton's advertisements from 25 years ago were heavy with "The first Glasair operated out of our 2,000' gravel strip for years, so short fields are not a problem for our airplanes."

So, could you do it? Yep. If you're a hot stick and can comfortably and reliably fly the airplane close to its performance limits.

But realistically, I don't think so.

Back