Giving a flight review to a CFI

JBrown243

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
The flight instructor that I trained under for my commercial certificate a few years ago called me up today congratulating me on my new CFI raiting that I got back in October. He also asked for me to give him a flight review! He's completing the ground portion online and wants me to do the flight portion with him. I have known him for a while and he is always flying he typically has about 2-3 students per day all month long so he flys alot, and has WAY more experience than I do.

Is there any particular way I should handle the flight review. Other than him being a little rusty in the left seat ( I'm guessing) anything I should focus on? Or should we just go out any fly and have a good time?

shut his fuel selector off on the take-off roll...

Wait a minute, never mind that. Just make him do something he doesn't get to do in his normal environment..

Have him sing karaoke. You will be in a bar anyway, that is where CFIs get their FR signed off. Sheesh don't they teach new CFIs anything about professional courtesy anymore?:D

Sounds like a nice thing to do to ask a former student.

Dont try to do anything fancy.

The only thing to keep in mind that the most dangerous airline flight has two check airmen at the controls. Don't do anything fancy or stupid. I had an incident when I (ATP and MEI) was receiving a rental checkout from another MEI.

Have a power off 180 contest to determine who buys the post flight beers :D

If he is a really active instructor, just try to have him shoot an approach and then land it without leaving rubber on the runway....

If he is a really active instructor, just try to have him shoot an approach and then land it without leaving rubber on the runway....

Id use the opportunity for him to show you skills you want to do better yourself like soft field as well as trics to teach pilots that he has learned, etc... use it as a learning experience for yourself as well as currency for him

Give the same flight review ,that you would expect he would give you. Talk it over with him on the ground,and go for it. Should be a lot of fun for both.

well he was a bit rusty in the left seat. He kept landing to the left of the center line because different sight picture. other than that it was just a fun flight. He has done alot of flying out in Idaho, so I asked if he would do the soft field landing and take offs at a nearby grass strip. It was fun since I have never had the opportunity and it was a learning opportunity for me as well

Back