Gimli Glider Retiring

Hmmm I wonder what McCready setting he used for dertermining best inter thermal speed :)

Pete

plus, the weight of all that O2 equipment would give you good penetration...

not to mention the electrically heated snowsuit with necessary batteries. I think the equipment alone would put the glider over gross!

Pete - there would probably have to a be a factor added to the standard maccready calculation to compensate for the pilots desire to avoid frostbite.

not to mention the electrically heated snowsuit with necessary batteries. I think the equipment alone would put the glider over gross!

Pete - there would probably have to a be a factor added to the standard maccready calculation to compensate for the pilots desire to avoid frostbite.

Take care of both problems with one solution and use a sufa-lime cannister for both a heater and rebreather along with an O2 generator. Probably take care of the problem for under 20lbs.

Nonsense! All you need is a small O2 tank, A-14 regulator, mask, bailout bottle, and some warm clothes. Some goggles in case the canopy comes apart in the cold would be wise too. Glider pilots have been going ABOVE FL400 for decades with nothing more.

Electrically heated snowsuit.... Jeez! Why don't you just wrap your carcass in that electric blanket of yours and get a real long drop cord.

Back