Gifts for Passengers

mjburian

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Marty
I took my wife and mother-in-law on a local sightseeing flight last night, after which my mother-in-law asked if I had anything that she could put in her scrapbook about the flight. Basically, she was looking for some sort of memento to remember the flight by... which got me to thinking, is there something I can give to passengers that fly with me?

I considered sectional charts (too expensive) or sick sacks (gross)... but couldn't really find anything to give her (other than a smooth ride on a great night, and a few photos). What I really think she was looking for was something along the lines of the plastic wings airliners used to give out.

So, do you guys have any ideas regarding a small token gift I could give to passengers that fly with me that meet the following criteria:

* Not too expensive
* Appropriate for all ages
* Pertinent to GA flying (not a set of "wings" from American Airlines)
* Something that I can carry in my flight bag (not too big or heavy)
* Something that a non-pilot passenger might appreciate

Bonus points:
* Something that promotes GA flying and might get a passenger to take an introductory flight with an instructor.

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

I took my wife and mother-in-law on a local sightseeing flight last night, after which my mother-in-law asked if I had anything that she could put in her scrapbook about the flight. Basically, she was looking for some sort of memento to remember the flight by... which got me to thinking, is there something I can give to passengers that fly with me?

I considered sectional charts (too expensive) or sick sacks (gross)... but couldn't really find anything to give her (other than a smooth ride on a great night, and a few photos). What I really think she was looking for was something along the lines of the plastic wings airliners used to give out.

So, do you guys have any ideas regarding a small token gift I could give to passengers that fly with me that meet the following criteria:

* Not too expensive

Bonus points:
* Something that promotes GA flying and might get a passenger to take an introductory flight with an instructor.

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

AOPA provides a nice First Flight Certificate.

Otherwise, go to a scrapbook store and get a set of stick-on airplanes.

AOPA provides a nice First Flight Certificate.

Otherwise, go to a scrapbook store and get a set of stick-on airplanes.

Available for download at the AOPA web site? Or something you can buy from them? I'll search the site right now, but if you have a link or reference that would be appreciated.

* Not too expensive

Bonus points:
After we go flying I always try send/give people a picture of them in the airplane with or without the headset. I try to shoot a picture of them flying from the back seat too. Passengers often like having a picture of them in a parachute.

Sometimes I give a passenger one of my DVDs of my flying/aerobatic videos if they want one. Depending on their interest level I'll provide a passenger with a Gleim Learn to Fly booklet.

If it's Young Eagles, they get a certificate and the EAA blue "Fly Free" wrist band. We usually have little airplane things for little kids to take home with them.

I use to give 1st time pax a crawfish as a memento. Not a live one, but one from the aquarium gift shop in N. O. Something hard to forget. Since the aquarium closed due to Katrina I haven't gone back to re-stock.

I have made up a few First flight certificates just in one of the "print" programs.
Put the date, type of aircraft and tail number.

They always seem to like it.

I like the certificate idea. You could probably pick up some balsa gliders cheap, too!

My fear with certificates and balsa gliders is that both are relatively "fragile". A certificate with bent corners, etc due to living in my flight bag doesn't seem quite "professional" enough for what I'm thinking. The balsa gliders (obviously) have the same issue.

I'm really looking for something small and durable (again, I think personalized wing pins would be ideal... but I can't seem to find them).

Someone on the red board suggested a personalized pin similar to what they give out in their hot air balloon. My wife suggested having buttons made. So, maybe I'll have to settle for something like that.

I do appreciate all of the ideas, though... and hope you guys will continue to share anything that you think might be appropriate.

My fear with certificates and balsa gliders is that both are relatively "fragile". A certificate with bent corners, etc due to living in my flight bag doesn't seem quite "professional" enough for what I'm thinking. The balsa gliders (obviously) have the same issue.

I'm really looking for something small and durable (again, I think personalized wing pins would be ideal... but I can't seem to find them).

Someone on the red board suggested a personalized pin similar to what they give out in their hot air balloon. My wife suggested having buttons made. So, maybe I'll have to settle for something like that.

I do appreciate all of the ideas, though... and hope you guys will continue to share anything that you think might be appropriate.

How about a chunk of uranium? That will be durable....

Seriously... I've given a few First flight's and usually photos by the airplane before/after the flight are the most sought after mementos...

My wife suggested having buttons made. So, maybe I'll have to settle for something like that.
The place I went ballooning years ago had hat pins/tie tacks made in the colors and shape of their balloon. I thought that was a cool gift.

How about a precious memory that will last forever?

Aaaaawwwwwww.... :D

I've never though of offering a gift, figuring the flight itself is the gift... but that's a nice idea. If I owned a plane, I'd probably be keen on that, too; hard to say exactly why.

Maybe just a simple picture of your plane, perhaps with you standing beside it. Shouldn't cost too much to have a bunch of those printed up, and the photo paper is more durable than certificate paper.

Maybe just a simple picture of your plane, perhaps with you standing beside it. Shouldn't cost too much to have a bunch of those printed up, and the photo paper is more durable than certificate paper.
I'd rather give people a picture of THEM standing next to, or flying the airplane. It's about them, really. :)

I'll probably get banned from POA for telling this, buttttt I've actually given "sic sac"s away. I had a kid a couple of years ago ask what would happen if she got sick. I handed her a sic sac, which she didn't need. After the flight she asked if she could keep it for her scrap book. Of course I gave it to her.

There is often a little concern with first timers so there is also some joking, which then leads to a good time and a funny reminder of the flight.

I let them take their memories. Its pretty inexpensive. If I really like the person I'll send them a photo.

I let them take their memories. Its pretty inexpensive. If I really like the person I'll send them a photo.

I guess what I'm thinking is, for a few dollars per ride they can have something to take home and remind them of the flight.

I'm in a really good situation, in that I have access to a 172 for what amounts to about $40/hr... so I'm OK with spending just a bit more to give them something to remember the flight by. If I was paying normal rental rates for the 172 ($100-$120 around here), I might not be as willing to add to the expense of giving people rides.

Usually, when my passengers get off the airplane, they are just happy to be alive and able to walk/run away from the aircraft.

--Matt

On a similar note....gift for the *airplane*

On a similar note... kinda wierd, but I went along with it anyway...

The airplane I learned to fly in, and passed my checkride in, had a card in the glovebox that was a "thank you" card addressed to the airplane itself. In the card were the names and dates of many people who had gotten their first airplane rides in this C172, and a few names (including mine) of those who had earned their private pilot wings in her.

Go to Cafepress.com and print up a few custom mini-buttons or magnets to give to passengers. You can get a 10 pack of mini buttons with any design you want for $7.99. Put a picture of your plane or a caricature of it with some witty saying on it and give them out. I've never been impressed with the t-shirt quality from them, but the buttons seem to look pretty good. Mini buttons would be easy to keep a few in your flight back. Cheaper to do it through them than other promotional item companies.

Go to Cafepress.com and print up a few custom mini-buttons or magnets to give to passengers. You can get a 10 pack of mini buttons with any design you want for $7.99. Put a picture of your plane or a caricature of it with some witty saying on it and give them out. I've never been impressed with the t-shirt quality from them, but the buttons seem to look pretty good. Mini buttons would be easy to keep a few in your flight back. Cheaper to do it through them than other promotional item companies.
Or how about doing a batch of personalized pens or pencils with some commemorative saying. "I got high with Lisa" :) Would be a hit around your office!:no::hairraise:

Or how about doing a batch of personalized pens or pencils with some commemorative saying. "I got high with Lisa" :) Would be a hit around your office!:no::hairraise:

Now THAT's funny. Can you see me handing one of those to one of our "customers" to use to sign his evidence receipt. lol

North Carolina makes aeronautical charts ("not for navigation"), which are available at the FBO, sometimes out of date. If I take someone who seems to be interested in flying and we are flying to another airport (typically to lunch), I make a production out of drawing our course on the freebie chart, and might even point out obstructions, the VOR we are crossing, and discuss hemispheric cruising altitude, etc. The passenger holds the chart during the flight for reference, if desired, and then the chart becomes his souvenir.

Of course, my technique is probably way over-the-top for those who just want to circle the house.

Wells

North Carolina makes aeronautical charts ("not for navigation"), which are available at the FBO, sometimes out of date. If I take someone who seems to be interested in flying and we are flying to another airport (typically to lunch), I make a production out of drawing our course on the freebie chart, and might even point out obstructions, the VOR we are crossing, and discuss hemispheric cruising altitude, etc. The passenger holds the chart during the flight for reference, if desired, and then the chart becomes his souvenir.

Of course, my technique is probably way over-the-top for those who just want to circle the house.

Wells

I had a flight last week where I was *extremely* familiar with the route. On the way back, I was pointing things out to my passengers and they asked how I knew what I was pointing at. I decided to hand them the sectional chart, since I didn't need it at the time. They looked at it for a second, and then realized the view outside was better.

Back