Giant Concrete arrows

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by N801BH, Jul 20, 2013.

1. N801BH

N801BH Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    FBH
  2. flyguy_17

flyguy_17 Pre-Flight

Display name:
    flyguy_17
    There is actually one of these about 25 miles southwest of my homebase of KBAM, only this one has more than just an arrow, it also was an actual airfield known as Buffalo Valley Intermediate Field and served as an emergency stop on the rout from San Fransisco to Salt Lake City. It also contained beacons along with boundry and approach lights. One of the beacons remained until just a few years ago. The field also had a Radio building and living quarters, which is obviosly gone now, but parts of the foundation still exist. If you know where to look from the air, you can still make out the triangle shape of the field. Pretty cool! Check out this sight http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NV/Airfields_NV_NE.htm

3. tinerj

tinerj Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    tinerj
    I've never seen any, but I've been told by some of the older pilots at what was once Walnut Ridge Army Airfield (KARG) in World War II, that large arrows were placed in several locations to point the trainees back toward KARG.

4. ARFlyer

ARFlyer Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    ARFlyer
    There is one that is left in Arkadelphia at the old airport. However, it is now in The middle of a tree farm. So not much is left of the arrow.

5. Sac Arrow

Sac Arrow Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Who Dis Pilot
    I have to admit when I saw the title of the thread, I envisioned large Pipers with limited useful loads.

6. Jay Honeck

Jay Honeck Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Jay Honeck
    Never heard of any official "concrete arrow" program, but there was once a string of light beacons that stretched across the country, guiding early pilots.

They were lit each night by attendants. Can you imagine? They were spaced apart so that as you were over one at "x" altitude you could see the next one

These were ultimately replaced with (fewer) VORs. The backbone of transcontinental flight still follows the old light beacon trail that goes through (over) Iowa City, Iowa.

7. Pilawt

Pilawt En-Route

Display name:
    Pilawt
    Airway beacons through Banning Pass -- 1945

[​IMG]

8. DavidWhite

DavidWhite Final Approach

Display name:
    Grundle Brush
    Just like the beacons of gondor

9. ebykowsky

ebykowsky Cleared for Takeoff

Display name:
    goalstop
    Pittsburgh still has a tower that flashes the city's name in Morse code, originally for the 20's airmail pilots.

10. cessna182b

cessna182b Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    DAVID JOHNSON
    They are part of the original Federal Airway System, dating back to the 1920s: http://www.airwaypioneers.com/Sentinels_of_the_Airways.pdf

There are still bits and pieces of it here and there. Several years ago I found one of the original lighted beacon towers - still in use as a support for communications antennas - outside Elkins, WV (see photo).

The state of Montana still maintains a system of Mountain Pass Lighted Beacons: http://www.mdt.mt.gov/aviation/beacons.shtml

Dave

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  11. weilke

weilke Final Approach

Display name:
    weilke
    Montana aeronautics still maintains about 20 beacons in remote parts of the state. Dont know whether they were part of the airway system, now they indicate things like passes (e.g. MacDonald Pass just west of Helena,MT). You can find them either on the MT aeronautics chart:

http://www.mdt.mt.gov/aviation/docs/aeronautic-chart.pdf

...or on the sectional. Aother one is just south of Avon,MT, a little bit west of the MacDonald Pass one.

12. roncachamp

roncachamp Final Approach

Display name:
    Steven P McNicoll
    They weren't always concrete. I have a copy of the Department of Commerce Airway Bulletin No. 1, dated September 1, 1932. It describes the original concrete arrow and the later arrow made of metal sections. Scans of those pages are attached.

Also attached is a very nice color photograph of the Cassoday, Kansas, Airway Communication Station and airway beacon that appeared in Life magazine in 1940. The letters "A-KC" on the roof of the generator shed are for Amarillo and Kansas City, the endpoints of the airway. On the other slope of the roof is the number 34, the beacon number for this site, the arrow points northeast towards the next higher numbered site.

I've also attached sectional chart scans of this area from 1945, 1955, and 1966. You can read more about this site and the adjacent intermediate airfield here.

Attached Files:

13. N801BH

Display name:
    FBH
    Kool stuff guys......................

Keep it coming..:yes::)

14. Jack Allison

Jack Allison Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Jack Allison
    What's funny is this is pretty much the route I've taken from the Left Coast to Iowa City in my (metal) Arrow.

15. N801BH

Display name:
    FBH

:lol:...

Ironic, ain't it? :yes:;)

16. Jack Allison

Jack Allison Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Jack Allison
    Yup, mostly follow I-80. I think I cross it 10-15 times just on my way to Salt Lake City.

17. GAZOO

GAZOO Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    GAZOO
    Thread jack

Went to obu in arkadelphia

18. Dave Krall CFII

Dave Krall CFII En-Route

Display name:
    Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
    We got your "go to nearest" function right here....