Gettysburg - W05

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
Gettysburg, PA

Well Tuesday looks to be a "good" wx day so I think I will bag work and head to Gettysburg, PA. Mary and I will head out for a lunch stop at the Herr tavern then a follow with a tour of the battlefield.

W05 - Anyone with info on this place? I want to get a car scheduled so we don't have to thumb it for 2 miles
eek.gif

Anyone looking for a place to go Tuesday the 6th is welcome to join in. The guided tours started back up March 1st!

Gary I've been there once for a fly in breakfast. Neat little country field. Be careful if P40 is active if your going south. You will need a cab to get into town. Ironically the Cab company used to be based out of the airport and used to own the airport. I'd check airnav and give them a ring. Very rural area. A beautiful flight out there.

Thanks Adam, we hope to post some nice shots of the battlefield. I searched online and all the local cab companies are closed, even the limo company. I'll post whatever info I find here on airnav and the aopa airport directory page.

Joe mentioned on the red board he thought one of the harrisburg airports bought the place. I'll ask around and make calls today.

On final, you might think they land 747s there. Lots of rubber stripes. Apparently they also do drag racing on the strip, or at least they used to. Had me scratching my head until I remembered the drag racing story. AFAIK they did sell the airport, so the taxi concessionaire who ran the place isn't there anymore. Shouldn't be too hard to get a lift though. Have fun.

Oh yeah Gary electrical wires on approach end to 24 IIRC there is a nice displaced threshold. Wires are marked with those big red or orange balls.

W05 Info Update

After chasing down a good phone number (thanks Williamsport FSS) I contacted the Susquehanna Regional Airport Authority At (717)774-8335 (KCXY Cap City). Theses folks were VERY helpful to the point of breaking out a local phone book to help find a taxi service, since every service I had called was out of business. The folks at SRAA also noted that tie downs rings are there but recommended bringing ropes or straps to be safe.

Enterprise has an office on York road in Gettysburg. The local office said they would drive out and pick you up at the airport and drive you back upon return of the car. The Enterprise contact info is (717) 337-9000.

I used to fly into Gettysburg a lot before I moved out west. The best way to see the town and the battlefield is by bicycle. I'd load up two bikes in the back of the Tiger and voila, no rental car needed. Its a great day trip!

Back