Getting unsolicited aviation emails

jnmeade

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Meade
In the past couple of weeks, I must have received 10 or a dozen emails from various new-to-me aviation sites, most with something to sell or an agenda, that I was previously unaware of. I certainly never asked for the emails, none of which interest me.

A good example of this was some yahoo who was trying to set himself up as a CFI guru - this was maybe a year or so ago. Then I got some from the couple who split off from NAFI. These latest are in the same vein but I don't recognize any of the people or sites.

My worry when I get emails like this are does one ignore them and hope they'll go away (in my experience they don't), block them by going through the hassle of rejecting their domain name, or opt out? I have opted out or unsubscribed from several, but worry if this is not just a way to determine that mine is an active email account and therefore valuable for reselling or adding to some more spam accounts.

Are you getting unsolicited aviation emails lately? How do you handle them to not set your self up as an email mark?

If you have visited internet aircraft sites for any reason over the past few months, some of them have probably sold your information to other sites.:rofl:

In the past couple of weeks, I must have received 10 or a dozen emails from various new-to-me aviation sites, most with something to sell or an agenda, that I was previously unaware of. I certainly never asked for the emails, none of which interest me.

A good example of this was some yahoo who was trying to set himself up as a CFI guru - this was maybe a year or so ago. Then I got some from the couple who split off from NAFI. These latest are in the same vein but I don't recognize any of the people or sites.

My worry when I get emails like this are does one ignore them and hope they'll go away (in my experience they don't), block them by going through the hassle of rejecting their domain name, or opt out? I have opted out or unsubscribed from several, but worry if this is not just a way to determine that mine is an active email account and therefore valuable for reselling or adding to some more spam accounts.

Are you getting unsolicited aviation emails lately? How do you handle them to not set your self up as an email mark?

Not that we have noticed. However, a quick look into the mail trapped by my junk email filter today shows 246 offers of male-enhancement products, urgent notices from various financial institutions, confirmations of airline tickets we never purchased, etc. None are aviation-related.

I ignore most.. just hit delete. Some make a pretense that I contacted them.. have anothers name with my email address... so I know where that came from.. a data miner from a website that improperly posted our flying club contact information.

Some have "opt out optios", which I do use and they seem to work.
Some I send about 50 replies back to the same contact email person to remove me from their list.. that usually works.. for a few months.

Last spam I got at the email address below was in August. And, this is the address that I have included in the .sig on my usenet posts for a number of years. :dunno:

I get mail from AOPA and AVWEB (and anyone who I have ever bought something from) on another address, but that is my own fault :rofl:

Not that we have noticed. However, a quick look into the mail trapped by my junk email filter today shows 246 offers of male-enhancement products, urgent notices from various financial institutions, confirmations of airline tickets we never purchased, etc. None are aviation-related.

:redface: Could you forward the males ones to me? :redface: :blowingkisses:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:nono:

Kidding!

Back