Getting "punished" for daring to file direct?

Many CFIIs either don't train those procedures well or have never been trained well in them themselves.

Anyone remember the Bonanza pilot on the Red Board who flew through the flight-free zone on an IFR departure out of the Grand Canyon some years ago because he just assumed that he'd get radar vectors?
That's not necessarily a recent phenomenon, though. There was a Learjet departing Palm Springs eons ago that flew runway heading into a mountain with Frank Sinatra's mother on board.

dtuuri

That's not necessarily a recent phenomenon, though. There was a Learjet departing Palm Springs eons ago that flew runway heading into a mountain with Frank Sinatra's mother on board.

dtuuri

There was the C130 at Jackson Hole also.

I don't know why a controller would cause more work for himself by giving you a full route clearance just to "teach you a lesson" for filing direct. I routinely fly from one end of the country to the other. Starting just east of the Philly class B. I will always file departure procedures and Victor/Jet airways. Once I get into Cleveland Centers airspace(or anything further west) I just ask for direct destination or a point I know I am gonna get sent to and 9/10 times I get it(usually only shaves off 5-10 minutes). At night when it is slow I almost always get asked if I want a shortcut and it is almost always the destination. I have to do some of that pilot sh** and use Garmin Pilot/ForeFlight to make sure a present position direct isn't gonna put me in a restricted area. Sure Cleveland Center will give you direct Monterey, but when you check on with LA Center and he sees you going right for the restricted area around Groom Lake, you can expect a, "N12345, have an amendment to your routing, advise when ready to copy." Coming back from the west coast I will usually make sure I am not gonna go through restricted airspace and ask direct to Harrisburg because that is the first point on the STAR. I could ask direct McGuire and get it with LA, but around Cleveland they are just gonna issue me the STAR anyways. If you fly similar routes a lot you can kinda gauge what a controller will and will not give you.

I still find it bizarre that the controller could hear I was struggling to get the full clearance because it was complicated, and MUST have known it was equivalent to a SID and didn't just say "can you accept a SID? I'm actually giving you the HUMPY3 departure " (or whatever you get my point). Anyway I believe the answer that makes the most sense is in post #29.

Since then I always use fltplan and just use the default recent routes given to others. Then once in the air I'll ask for shortcuts even direct like Gucci Pilot mentioned.

I still find it bizarre that the controller could hear I was struggling to get the full clearance because it was complicated, and MUST have known it was equivalent to a SID and didn't just say "can you accept a SID? I'm actually giving you the HUMPY3 departure " (or whatever you get my point). Anyway I believe the answer that makes the most sense is in post #29.

Since then I always use fltplan and just use the default recent routes given to others. Then once in the air I'll ask for shortcuts even direct like Gucci Pilot mentioned.
I'm not a controller, but I believe they have to issue the clearance exactly as it comes off the strip.

Which field under the PHL Bravo were you departing from?

This was a few years ago. I thought it was KPNE but I was looking at their departures trying to see if I recognized any and KPNE has no SIDs?! At the time whichever airport I left from had SIDs. I distinctly remember looking up the SIDs and recognizing what I had been given.

Ok, so lets imagine I ask every aircraft if they have the plates for a SID not applicable to their departure airport.

Me: N123 do you have the SID for airport XYZ available, because I'm going to issue you essentially that.
N123: yes I do
Me: N123 expect sorta X SID when we get that new routing entered into our 1980's era flight data computer.
... 5 minutes later
Me: N123 cleared to xyx via X departure. Never mind it isn't TERPED out and the legality is non existent if you God forbid impact terrain and I can expect to be sued and be fired.
Next sector: Ignore the SID proceed direct the terminating fix.

What did we gain by that?

Edit:

You say that had SIDS. Were they applicable to your category aircraft? Did you file No SIDS?

Ok, so lets imagine I ask every aircraft if they have the plates for a SID not applicable to their departure airport.

Me: N123 do you have the SID for airport XYZ available, because I'm going to issue you essentially that.
Me: N123 expect sorta X SID when we get that new routing entered into our 1980's era flight data computer.
... 5 minutes later
Me: N123 cleared to xyx via X departure. Never mind it isn't TERPED out and the legality is non existent if you God forbid impact terrain and I can expect to be sued and be fired.

Hahahaha! Yes point taken.

... 5 minutes later

Edit:

You say that had SIDS. Were they applicable to your category aircraft? Did you file No SIDS?

I actually had this happen, sorta. I was departing KRAL IFR. I was given the full procedure, it was really a cobbled entry to PRADO 7 (8 now) SID from KONT. I got the KRAL DP (per the A/FD) to Paradise then NIKKL to HEMET then V64 to TRM then as filed. However, there is no charted transition from Riverside to this SID, but ATC's creativity in this instance is laudable.

Back