Getting "Mauled"

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I've really taken an interest in the Maules. I want an airplane that I CAN fly cross country and light IFR, but can also do the weekend flying most of us do, including flying into grass strips.

Question: The older ones have the rounded tails, and I really like that classic airframe look, as does my WIFE, which is probably a more important factor if I want to spend our income on an airplane. The newer ones have the squared off tail, which I don't think looks nearly as nice.

Is there some PERFORMANCE reason why Maule changed from the rounded tail to the squared off tail (i.e., some reason I should avoid the older ones)?

Troy Whistman said:
I've really taken an interest in the Maules. I want an airplane that I CAN fly cross country and light IFR, but can also do the weekend flying most of us do, including flying into grass strips.

Question: The older ones have the rounded tails, and I really like that classic airframe look, as does my WIFE, which is probably a more important factor if I want to spend our income on an airplane. The newer ones have the squared off tail, which I don't think looks nearly as nice.

Is there some PERFORMANCE reason why Maule changed from the rounded tail to the squared off tail (i.e., some reason I should avoid the older ones)?

No, it just saves 30 minutes baseball stiching the round tail covers. the square tail gets a 3" lap glued seam.

If you are interested in a 45K M5 180 I knowwhere there is one for sale that the owner is not advertizing.

Troy,

Noting your avatar I'd thought I'd mention that the only similarity between a Maule and Mooney is that they both begin with M.

:<)

Len

NC19143 said:
No, it just saves 30 minutes baseball stiching the round tail covers. the square tail gets a 3" lap glued seam.

If you are interested in a 45K M5 180 I knowwhere there is one for sale that the owner is not advertizing.

Do you know the aircraft itself? Condition?

I would be interested in knowing more, yes.

Troy

Len Lanetti said:
Noting your avatar I'd thought I'd mention that the only similarity between a Maule and Mooney is that they both begin with M.

That's funny, Len! Unfortunately, that's not MY Mooney; it was in the club I used to be a part of. Actually, it's not even in the club anymore. Guess I should change my avatar picture...

I'll do that now.

Troy Whistman said:
Do you know the aircraft itself? Condition?

I would be interested in knowing more, yes.

Troy

at 45k it is not pristeen, but flys well, and is IFR equipped with Terra radios including an ADF. It will need covers on the elevators and fuselage before long, but is sealed up for now. Nice (brown) interior, and no damage history. colors are red/brown over cream (off white).

I don't have times on here at work, but it is due for annual, last year there was nothing major, engines compressions were good and the engine is mid life 180 horse Lycoming.

I have pictures at home on the laptop, send me an e-mail ias@whidbey.net and I can send them along with times as of last annual.

Ken Ibold said:
Just out of curiosity, are you looking for a trike or taildragger, or do you care?

I'd prefer the vintage round tail design, taildragger mode, thank you!

Len,
I am way impressed you can tell a mooney by the small picture of just a fraction of a panel.

Troy Whistman said:
I'd prefer the vintage round tail design, taildragger mode, thank you!
Good man! The world needs more people flying airplanes with the little wheel on the correct end of the airplane. That's more important than high wing/low wing.

Ken Ibold said:
Good man! The world needs more people flying airplanes with the little wheel on the correct end of the airplane. That's more important than high wing/low wing.

REAL AIRCRAFT have round engines, tail wheels and sticks.

Ken Ibold said:

Yeah!! And I want a crank to start my car, none of those new fangled keys for me!!! :rofl:

Joe Williams said:
Yeah!! And I want a crank to start my car, none of those new fangled keys for me!!! :rofl:
Right you are! And you know, PROPER airplanes need keys to unlock the doors, but not to start the engine.

Michael said:
Len,
I am way impressed you can tell a mooney by the small picture of just a fraction of a panel.

That's not the picture that USED to be my avatar...

I used to have this (and that's what Len was commenting on):

DCP_0008.jpg

As I told him, I changed it. The current black & white was taken by a professional photographer for an on-site shoot for a company article about Angel Flight pilots (what employees are doing). I was sitting in a co-worker's older Cherokee 180.

Ken Ibold said:
Right you are! And you know, PROPER airplanes need keys to unlock the doors, but not to start the engine.

Hmm, so our club Archer III is a proper airplane :dunno:

BTW, I'm still trying to figure out how to impliment the "Ken Ibold" model of personal aviation.

NC19143 said:
REAL AIRCRAFT have round engines, tail wheels and sticks.

Amen, although I will accept some V engines. I always wondered what a Bearcat would be like on nitro....

Ken Ibold said:

Add the tailwheel and high wing and you have the perfect airplane. Oh, that's right, you have the perfect airplane already. ;)

I would get in one before I got to serious.

I could either get my right leg Or My left leg in, but not BOTH at the same time.

The newer one COULD GET IN BUT DO NOT THINK I COULD SAFELY FLY.

Many of the older ones have problems with corrosion in the steel tube frame.

Check them out good.

Steve said:
Errrr, that would be Rare Bear... Over 4,000 horsepower are generated in the nitrous-oxide & water-injected Wright R-3350 — 60 percent more than the Bearcat's stock Pratt & Whitney R-2800. Makes your right foot cramp up.

Rare Bear set a speed record of 528 mph at Las Vegas NM during the summer of 1990.

www.rarebear.com

There is a huge difference between "nitro" and "nitrous". Nitrous Oxide systems spray nitrous oxide into the intake system to allow the proper fuel air ratio for the extra gasoline they also inject into the system. Nitro, is burning Nitro Methane as your fuel. You don't need to inject extra oxidizer. When you switch to nitro, you drill really big holes in your jets. An R 3350 on nitro I would figure would pull near 14,000 hp.

NC19143 said:
at 45k it is not pristeen, but flys well, and is IFR equipped with Terra radios including an ADF. It will need covers on the elevators and fuselage before long, but is sealed up for now. Nice (brown) interior, and no damage history. colors are red/brown over cream (off white).

I don't have times on here at work, but it is due for annual, last year there was nothing major, engines compressions were good and the engine is mid life 180 horse Lycoming.

I have pictures at home on the laptop, send me an e-mail ias@whidbey.net and I can send them along with times as of last annual.

Here are the Pictures
TT aircraft and engine 1000+- flys regularly, this AM tach showed 997,
It has the new struts (no AD), SS exhaust, new ELT, and annual is due in June.

The fabric is factory Dope over Ceconite, needs to be sanded and re-doped.

Len Lanetti said:
For all of how many seconds?

Len

Depends on duty cycle, the cowling and the percentage of the mix (nitro/alchohol). Nitro Methane as a fuel source developed during WWII by the Germans for their fighter aircraft to reduce time to climbs and increase altitude ability. On a 20% mix, you could run basically indefinitely putting out about 35% more HP than on gasoline. Go to a 50% mix and you're reducing TBO. Run 90% and you have serious duty cycle restrictions. 100% and you're on a piston powered rocket sled.

dogman said:
Many of the older ones have problems with corrosion in the steel tube frame.

Check them out good.

That is a common problem with any rag and tube aircraft Old Pipers, Old Stinsons, old ect.

Tim said:
Maule's stink in my opinion.

Yer Right, they do have their own set of problems. most bush operators won't use them, but private operators will. They work well for a family aircraft when not loaded too heavy,

And NEVER buy one that has had ANY wing work/Damage.

And if you are buying one always make sure you have the new error struts installed.

They have the same corrosion problems as the early Piper struts do.

Last edited:
Back